Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Drum Roll Please

I'd like to announce for the entire world that our baby is a....

We watched the baby squirming; me atop of the table, Matt seated initially and then brought to his feet as the pictures became clearer. The tiny hands, the heart beating. "You have an active one," the ultrasound tech stated as she fished for less blurry still-frames of our acrobat. And as I watched the child swim about it hit me for the first time... I'm not feeling movement. Therefore, the baby's not as old as the predictions. "Well, hunny, I can tell you right now that you're not about to be 20 weeks," came the abrupt expression of my thoughts. "Do you want to know what it is?" she asked as she scaled the torso. With unanimous response we first saw that sweet little one's little legs and feet... all curled up, covering it's tell-all. "Well..." the woman chuckled initially, "Let's try it back after the measurements.

Measurements proved my suspicions... I am 16 weeks along. AKA: New due date = January 11, 2009. YAY!!!! No Christmas baby!!!!! But yes, sadly folks there is the risk of baby being born on my birthday. Oh well. C'est la vie!

Then back to the tell-alls we went, with anticipation and joy. And after 10 minutes of belly shaking, turning sideways, and assaulting that poor baby, baby's cramped up frog legs, then the crossed extended legs, then the hand covering it's tell-all, the conclusion was...

From Me: laughing
From Matt: "I guess modesty is genetic."
From the ultrasound lady: "You've got a little stinker. [She really was agitated at this point.] But my guess is it may be a girl cause I can't see anything [Not exactly how an ultrasound is supposed to be read by the way.. it's supposed to be dependent on # of folds of skin, not external hanging genitalia or lack thereof - since often that is the harder of the 2 to see]."

And for those of you who don't know... we all start out as girls externally, so this guesstimating while slightly more affirmative than no picture, is not set in stone.

So is it pink? Is it blue?

Good question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was a fun post to read :-)

Monica said...

thanks. our kid has quite the personality already. how fun indeed! I look forward to meeting them. =)