Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Whole View

I think it’s funny that we can be so rich and yet feel so poor. I can look at the holes in my shoes, the foam padding falling out and think, “Man, these thrift-store shoes aren’t staying together.” I can look at my car, hood and trunk popped for the umpteenth time in the parking lot and feel ashamed that I have to apply steering leaking fluid to a “new” car in a lot where people stare as they get out of their SUVs and nice sedans. I can look at a job and feel oppressed by endless, tedious and early hours when others are staying at home to raise their families or still sleeping in their beds.

But that’s not the whole picture. The puzzle may have holes, but the edge-pieces are all in place.
When did it become so easy to only look at the lacking? Was it when the lacking was seen that the satisfied silently slipped away?

Let the blessing of shoes, a running car and a well-paying job overcome the lacking again. For truly, anything could be put in the place of the shoes, the car and the job… what are your substitutions? Finances? A status in life? A home?

And as I am challenged to once again admit that holed shoes are the best fit for these feet, I would encourage you to value the holes in your shoes. I would encourage you to rejoice in the leaking fluids and boring work hours with a new view. A whole view.

No comments: