Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Abnormal Us


Parts of a conversation have been running through my mind for days now. Isn't it odd how the brain can process things sometimes? I'm not going to directly spell out the conversation topic in efforts to avoid any search engine wanderers. But nonetheless, a part of me just can't seem to let this one go. Something is incomplete and it's been bothering my brain.

I'm one of those people that wishes they had the right thing to say in "pop fly" conversations. I'm one that wishes they could conjure the right response, or at least the response that they truly feel and think. But it always seems to take me a bit longer than expected to conjure that depth.

A conversation ensued regarding intimacy between married couples. Through this conversation it was established early on from two viewpoints that intimacy is no longer shared between married couples but is more than permissible to be shared with many differing individuals. This concept progressed to the conclusion that it is better to have found your husband after being "experienced" and intimacy was reduced to a lustful act or behavior.

And I was offended and broken for these conclusions. See, when marriage is reduced to a mere by-product of a lust-filled life, it becomes meaningless. What is the point of marriage if uniting with others is a practice of normalcy, regardless of if it's in the past or present? Why not just co-habit?

And when marriage is reduced to an option and intimacy is reduced to a mere normalcy with or without commitment attached, then what really is the point of "I do"?

I wish I could convey the sanctity of marriage that so many fail to witness. I wish I could convey the sanctity in intimacy, pure intimacy. I wish I could convey the reassurance that no one in this world has or will ever know me as deeply as my husband. And because he waited for 21 years, I am ever-so reassured that he has and will rely on God's strength to keep him pure in our marriage. But there are no descriptors that deep. No words with such explanation.


... and I just sat there, stuck somewhere between being offended and brokenness for those who have cheated themselves out of true, pure intimacy ...

what an awful exchange...

I looked down at my baby bump and thanked God for allowing Matt and I such a blessing...

...out of an "abnormal" marriage.

No comments: