Thursday, August 02, 2012

Little Guy

We had a little guy for respite the past nine days (thanks, Matt, for the math). I can't give out a whole lot of details about him, but I can tell you that he was tiny enough to utilize all of Hannah's "new baby" things and sleep for the majority of the day and night (bonus!).

We weren't given more than a handful of sentences of vague instructions on him so Matt and I studied him to figure him out. Since we weren't given a general bedtime for him, the first few nights were very trial and error oriented. But we eventually fell into a "normal" routine with him.




The girls adored Little Guy, enjoying his "real life doll" qualities and returning him when their attention spans moved on. "Where baby go?" was a common phrase from Abi as she suddenly came to the reality throughout the day that she hadn't checked on Little Guy recently.

She was always ready to hold him, 
never turning down a single offer. 

 Look at her little Mommying. =) She was so preciously gentle with him.


Little Guy just snuggled right into our family and provided (Matt and I joked) "training wheels" for our soon-to-be addition of Hannah. I even got to play with cloth diapering Little Guy when he ran out of disposables a day and a half early of his pick-up date.




Little Guy... I don't know if we'll ever get a chance to meet you again. But I won't forget your snuggles. And the way you scaled my shoulder, from the outside in, a few days after you met me until you were comfortably nuzzled in my neck. Thank you for trusting me.


Trust may not come easily to you. Most babies your age are more entertained by faces, studying them and wanting to interact with them. It took you a while to watch my face for more than a glance-by. You studied objects and flocked to fluorescent lights. Maybe faces were too inconsistent for you. Maybe you were guarding yourself. Maybe the lights reminded you of the NICU. Who knows. But thank you for getting to the point of studying my face for a few minutes by the end of your stay. Your eyes spoke volumes.



Precious boy, if I can leave you with nothing else, I want to leave you with the hope you listened to me singing with the congregation on Sunday morning. With your ear to my heart you heard:



" How sweet to hold a newborn baby;
And feel the pride, and joy he brings;
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

Because He lives (you) can face tomorrow;
Because He lives all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives." 
 ("Because He Lives" by Gloria & William Gaither copy write 1971)

And

"I need no other argument, I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me."
("My Faith has Found a Resting Place" by Lidie Edmunds & William Kirkpatrick to a Norwegian Folk Melody.)


I sang these over you throughout the week. And I prayed over you that you would one day see that despite the pain and loss and uncertainty, Jesus is more than enough. No other argument than Jesus is needed in this world and because of His hope, tomorrow is able to be faced.


Thank you for the opportunity to love you, sweet Little Guy, and if we never meet again, I take comfort in my prayers and my family's prayers for you not falling on deaf ears.

I loved you like my own, Little Guy, even if we only had you for a week.

How you blessed us.



- Thank you, Jesus.


No comments: