Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cat Person in Big Dog World

So I am a cat person. I confess, I confess. And to me dogs can be good and less good. Our dog wavers between the two sometimes depending on if it's tolerating the cat or not. See, I really like that Dakota is potty trained, listens pretty well (unless she chooses not to), and has not made it a constant habit of chasing Cheddar. These are good redeeming qualities. But this cat person is still alarmed by the sheer volume of our dog, the puppy-impulsivity, the big slobbery tongue that always seems to migrate toward your face, and a few other typical dog things. Are these things atypical of a dog? Heavens no. But for a cat person they take a little getting used to. But I think Dakota will soon learn that her best friend is Matt and her other caregiver is me. Don't get me wrong, people, I really care about this dog. I'll stand in that backyard and watch the dog pee because she whines when I leave her out there first thing in the morning. I'll do the work, the whatever it take. But deep inside of me I have and will always be a cat person. And my husband? a dog person. So now our family is pet complete. =)


Regardless of my stance on dogs and cats, though, you can't help but agree that we did get a really cute dog. And she really does have her shining moments (like right now as she calmly lays at my feet). New things we are trying to teach her: "settle" - not to be psycho in the house (we're actually limiting chasing games and rough-housing to the backyard because we don't want any confusion when baby comes), "sit" and "lay" - how to listen to us say them and then do them, "stay" - she really has a tough time with this one, and in general the lay of the land when it comes to this home. So far she's not doing too bad. Some moments are better than others for me and her alike. And when it comes down to it, I have to remember that Cheddar as a kitten used to pee and poop in unwanted areas, attack the dishes at night, refuse to be touched, howl at the door and head-butt it, and other less than desirable things. But look at how far he's come. That's hope for Dakota right there.


Cheddar's good when he's at eye level, but the floor's a different world


a favorite position


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww. the picture of Cheddar and Dakota is too cute! and I like the upside down one on the floor! yay for dogs who are cute!

Monica said...

yeah, she loves to be upside down on the floor. she has found that best belly scratching opportunities are found there.