Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Traveling Home

I can claim to be a cross-country, out of state (for 1 semester), out of city, out of town, and across the parking lot mover. And despite the fact that I’ve only moved a handful or so times, I have learned a few things about moving. #1. Home feels funny for a while. #2. Some friends trickle off. #3. Eventually “normal” catches back up. And #4. Moving is always done best with someone else as opposed to all alone.

I mention this now because normal is beginning to reform again in my life. Or in other words, Matt’s words, “It’s funny how quickly we adapt. Our apartment living seems so far away now even though we have only lived in the house for a month and a half.” When the word “home” is said, where do you think of? I think of the walk down our hallway (the direct center of our house). The feeling of the carpet on dirty bare feet. The sound of the AC and the water heater’s random outbursts. And I think of the kitty running beside you, reminding you of his level of starvation. The husband, waiting at the end of the hallway or in the office.

It’s that home that you look for after moving. It’s that home that you yearn for at the completion of vacation. It’s that home that you want at the end of the workday. It’s that home that I find myself randomly missing as the work day drags on. That space of “away.” That space of warmth and complete love for the weak and strong in you. It’s that home that we hope to bring this baby to. And soon, that this puppy will completely rearrange for a few weeks or so. It’s that home that Matt and I had a long conversation on the drive home about sharing with others. It’s that home. It could be anywhere.

But it’s home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's the home that you feel when you get a hug from a close friend. We all long for home when we don't feel "normal." Even though normal is defined individually, it still takes us back home when we arrive there. Welcome home pumpkin. Mom

Anonymous said...

Very well stated! And yes, I agree with you totally. Fortunately for you both, you have every expectation of staying in your new home for years, hopefully decades! And that's fantastic! Because I have moved so often, when I think about any room in the house or what's around it, sometimes I find myself remembering the wrong house - even a few moves back! Oops!!

By the way, what does that word "normal" mean??? I'm sure it doesn't apply to me. :-)

hugs!