Monday, August 04, 2008

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Ughday

Friday we went to support a friend at his art show. It was neat to see some art and make fun or some other art with Matt (tastefully of course). And it was particularly fun to eat the "opening reception" cheese squares, grapes, and sour-dough bread. "I think the last time I went to an art museum was in high school," reflected Matt. I was appreciative of his willingness to adventure into untrod territories for the sake of supporting our friend. Overall, despite being "ready to go" with the increasing crowded-ness, Matt and I had a really good time.

We had "the kids" over this weekend. And despite being pregnant, I managed to sorta keep up with the energy of of a 9 y/o boy and a 14 y/o girl. I felt accomplished, especially for this woman who lives for her 4pm naps. We got them Friday night after Sarah's soccer practice and the art show. And after ice cream with Matt's parents, we went home, put a movie on for the kids (AKA my brother and sister in law) and I plopped into bed.

Saturday was filled with activity; waffles resulting in two burnt and bubbled fingers of mine, pet store trip resulting in 9 y/o squeals as Franklin devoured scaled delicacies, a game of catch in the yard, a trip to the mall for much-desired on my behalf pretzels and visiting a youth during their shift, and a trip to the park resulting in dripping sweat and a small welt on my arm from being hit by a Frisbee from a game I wasn't playing. On top of all that fun, I learned, once again, that "kids" break everything - especially cat toys. And when left to their own demise, a 9 y/o can be very obnoxious, despite how much you love him. As "the kids" left our house, Matt and I smiled at each other and felt this wonderful relief that they don't come out 9 y/o.

Sunday mom came to visit. And we had wonderful conversations about all kinds of things. It was really fun... and really relaxing. Matt and I really enjoyed mom coming over. We both expressed our thankfulness for good adult conversation.

And today... is one of those sick days I should have called in this morning, but I couldn't afford (in more ways than one) to use sick time, especially after last week's sick time. It's one of those "suffer through it" days in order to convince my boss that I can be reliable despite carrying a puke-inducer. But it's also one of those days that I just wanted to fall over and die. After laying on Matt's chest for 10 minutes moaning internally this morning, I pulled myself into the car, eying the puke-bag, and dragged my feet to the office. And here I sit... greenish-pale, fogged-out, heavy-eyed, head-ached, and stuffy-nosed counting the seconds until my freedom. A freedom to take my after-work nap which may end with a Tuesday alarm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, koodos to you for sticking through work! I think I'd be a total wuss and just go home. Lol.

What's the picture of that you added to this post? It looks eerie but peaceful at the same time. Does that make sense?

Monica said...

yeah, I like that the pic was kinda creapy, yet peaceful myself. It sorta captured the hazziness I felt.