Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Little Tired

The blackout continues for this household while 100 feet behind us still has sturdy power and I think I saw a kitchen light on in my neighbor's house. Part of me yearns to be awoken at 3am to 60-watt floodlights and a ceiling fan. But Matt's words, "I don't think there are really that many people working the third shift to repair power," seem to hold some truth. I'm trying not to be complain-y and ungrateful. I mean come on, Matt and I have running water and a roof. But it does make it a bit harder to be grateful while standing in the darkness and missing essential clean-clothes items. My creativity is starting to drain as I am finding less nutrition in those microwaveables, I ate half a less-fresh yogurt for breakfast that was "saved" from our power outage, work presses on, and the night's rest seem less and less satisfying with varying temperatures, church emergency exterior lights waking me up (have to crack the blinds to keep from overheating) and my white-noise fan silenced. Matt's also getting behind in his school work. Again, I'm trying not to be complain-y and ungrateful, but as I skim over the words I just wrote I'm not sure if I was able to accomplish such. Let me tell you one thing that is nice that happened as a result of the blackout: Matt and I got a chance to spend unexpected time with his family, mine and a good friend's family for mealtime and candle-lit fun. Last night we were even spoiled by the taste of electricity when we went to a friend's in-law's home for taco night. (Matt even got to play video games.) So really things could be much worse. It's just that the joy of playing survivor is starting to wear off a bit. I keep waiting in eager anticipation of Matt's phone call reporting that the ban has been lifted. Oh what a joyous day that will be.

Hope the rest of you out there are coping well with the blackout.

And I also hope the rest of you out there with electricity are appreciative of that blessing.

No comments: