Friday, September 26, 2008

A Wedding and a Funeral

There is nothing like a purry furry in your arms at 6 in the morning.

Yesterday was a long 11 hour day at work and there is still paperwork awaiting my attention. Matt and i got a phone call at 10ish last night. Matt's Uncle Mike whom we were rearranging our schedule to go visit on Sunday had died within the hour. The paramedics were still at his Michigan house when we received the news. "I think this is going to hit Dad hard," Matt said after laying on the bed in silence for a while. Mike had recently been diagnosed with cancer which had spread rapidly to his pancreas. But Mike was in denial and refused treatment despite the 6 month time-frame. And then he had a stroke yesterday and still refused treatment. But it doesn't make him any less of a person, his stubbornness. And it's going to be a hard funeral for many family members who can't say with assurance that "He's in a better place." And that's hard.

Saturday we are going to Michigan for Matt's cousin's wedding. We're traveling with Ellen and Ron and Bekah and Sarah all packed into a van. Can we say family road trip? But in light of last night's news it looks like we'll be staying in Michigan at least until Monday for the funeral. And work had better let me off. ESPECIALLY after my 9 hour day Wednesday, 11 hour day Thursday and soon to be 9 hour day today.

I'm getting my little sister, Sarah, today so she can go to the movies with the youth tonight. I love seeing Sarah. She's a sweetheart. Last night she called Matt with a dilemma that her boyfriend was not "of age" to go to homecoming. I love her honesty in saying that she'd love to just lie about his age. But I trust that she will do the right thing in asking the homecoming adults if her boyfriend can go due to his homeschooling status. Hopefully they will cut her some slack. If not, Matt and I offered to take the two of them out to dinner (of course Matt and I sitting in a booth over or whatever). I just love that girl and her boyfriend is quite sweet too. Their innocence is so much fun to encourage and support.

Wednesday night I was given a few shirts from a new friend. Lydia's a house-mom of three kids (one 7th, 5th and 4th grader). It was so wonderful to hear her heart for her family. Hard times are coming for their family or at least times of hard transition. And it was really comforting to see a new friend continuing to fight for the most important thing entrusted to her - her family. I'm honored to wear the tee-shirts she has given me. It reminds me of a strong woman who gets it when it comes to loving a family.

Anyway, that's been us for the past few days... overworked, underpaid, and trying to be a good family to others.

In more random news I had a dream last night that Renee was pregnant. And the night before I had a dream that an old high school friend of mine (the pastor's kid) had a biracial baby outside of wedlock. I'll attribute both dreams to extra hormones. And then I sat on Dakota's paw last night while on the couch. She hollered initially and then dragged on her injury like the world was falling apart. There was this break in the initial pain and then this continuation of the drama as I gave her lovings. That dog is hilarious. You should come see her. (One at a time please.) =)

Not sure when I'll get a chance to update any time in the next few days. But I'll be back to keep you all posted on the wonderful life of the (announcer voice) "Associate Pastor Posse". - Baby's says 'kick'!

No comments: