Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Baby

I came in the door tonight, thankful to have made it inside before collapsing from exhaustion. I can't keep doing this. These 5 hour nights are killing me. Everywhere I turned tasks lay at my feet, waiting to be completed. Priorities are priorities... food.

Rice looked easy enough and yet a break from the usual Mac/cheese or (in all honesty) granola bars that I had been making meals lately. "Just trying to get by," I'd tell myself, "If I can only make it through this quarter..." And I will, Lord permitting.

"Where'd you go?" her loud voice filled the room.
"Church."
"Do you go there every day?" came my roommate's disapproval.
"Pretty much." I brushed her comment off, not feeling quite as motivated for the mission field called 'my apartment'.
Seeing that I was working on a project (I was attempting to fix my turtle's light) and I'd assume a bit disappointed that she had not received my usual spunk, she moved on to speak to my other roommates.
I tuned them out, grateful that they were talking to eachother, but fully understanding that my energy failed to permit multi-tasking. I tuned back in, after completing my project just as one roommate yelled above the other, "I'll have to take you out and get you drunk to celebrate your 21st." The comment was met with much cheering. It then occurred to me that the roommate speaking seemed a bit louder than usual. Then the story emerged of her previous activities earlier this evening, thus explaining her "altered" sense of vocal volume and slightly delayed thinking.

Joy, my thoughts arose, what a wonderful end to this "wonderful" day.

Then the conversation of age arose and someone was quick to announce that I was the "baby" of the group and my other roommate was the "oldest". Being as how I have been referred to as a baby for my entire life, my lack of emotion quickly extinguished the teasing. Then the focus shifted to the oldest who was then referred to as "mom". I just stirred my rice and listened to their ranting/raving.

The conversation concluded and everyone parted their ways. The apartment is now quiet. "Mom" has left to spend some time with a friend. My "louder" roommate is in her room, watching television. And my final roommate who was lacking complete coordination and brain-power due to previous decision this evening, well she has gone to study in the library. In all honesty, I am not sure how well that one shall work out.

Needless to say... this baby is going to bed. I shall arise early tomorrow when I am more fully energized to prepare further for this exam. But as for now, this baby is nothing but cranky, and I am well aware that cranky is not very glorifying to the One worthy of all praise.

As for the roommates, I have four words...





Jesus is worth it.

No comments: