Wednesday, September 14, 2005

From Amidst the Crowd

SOC 200 (sigh) is much like any other freshman course in that it inspires basic fundamental thinking of putting aside selfish high school thought and becoming a more responsible citizen. So, being as how I find myself in that class (don't really want to go into why) in order to get my last Gen Ed requirement, I'm trying to make the best of it.

So yesterday to wrap up our lecture, our Prof brought up slides with inspiring statements like, "One person cannot change the world, but they can be a CATALYST of change." Granted this saying is true, but at the same time... come on!!! This is corny! So then the Prof asked, "how could we do things different in order to be a catalyst of change?"
Oh great! I thought. Now we get to have a corny discussion in which someone will raise their hand and say... a girl interrupted my thought as she raised her hand, "we could be kinder to people and give money to the people who need it." Yeah, say that. Point proven.

Then it hit me like a brick truck, these are babies, they have no idea about life. (Like I have room to talk, by the way) But these Freshman are still going through the invincible stage of stepping off curbs in non-pedestrian crossings in order to prove to their friends that they don't fear getting hit by the speeding Semi. They haven't gotten a chance to think for themselves yet, to realize that there is more to your identity than the latest wacko and impure fashion statement and watching crap TV for 9 hours a day. (So I just realized after writing that sentence that there are non-freshman on our campus that still haven't figured it out either.)

My hand shot up.
"Yes? Did you have something to add?"
"We could make a difference by being an example. Like instead of going with the crowd in disrespect, we could dare to be respectful. You know, like going against your initial reaction to situations which makes you want to fit in. (referencing to Galatians 5:19-21)"
"Right, but we can't always go against the initial response."
I nodded my head realizing that sometimes going against our initial response could be not so good and also realizing that this woman and I did not share the same opinion of Truth.
She continued, "Because sometimes you can be too radical. And then people get uncomfortable. You know, like parents who are too religious... turns their children off to their religion. You know, sometimes it causes their kids to be radical in their beliefs as well, but most of the time it just turns their children off. So you want to go ahead and not be too drastic, you know; don't make people uncomfortable."
It was in that moment that I realized I was hearing a lie that had been whispered into society for a long time.

"Are you referring to what you just said as a general statement or in a specific situation?" A male student called out from amidst the crowd.
"Well, generally." Our Prof responded walking toward the voice.
"Ok, then I disagree with you." He boldly stated.
"Ok..." (a moment of awkward silence) "ok, so class," and she continued to conclude the class.

To the student in the crowd, thank you. Sincerely, thank you.

I am blessed that not all people in society are buying into that lie.



There is hope.

No comments: