Thursday, August 16, 2007

To Maintain Comfort.

It's amazing to me how easily we can live in our heads. If I don't like what you're saying, I retreat to my own thoughts. You can't change those. You can't touch those. We can live in this state of, "you think you know me... but you don't." We can live in this, "I can reason through it. I can fix it."

I've just been thinking about old friends as I clear through more of the clutter that easily classifies me as a "junk keeper". I've just been thinking about some of the conversations we had. And been wondering about where some of them are in their lives right now. Who are their friend's now? What are their new hobbies?

But the real fascination I have as I flip through old chapters of my life is, when the lights go down at the end of the day and it's just them and their thoughts, who are they? I'm just curious. Are they who they want to be? Am I who I want to be?

...


It's so easy to stay in the comfortable. It's so easy to remain outside of conflict, outside of stressors, outside of life. It's so easy to sit behind a computer or a palm pilot and become just another fish in the sea. I'm not trying to imply that being on the computer or on the web or having the finances to be able to afford a palm pilot makes anyone a bad person. I'm just saying that face to face contact and actually going through the daily work of keeping a friendship or a relationship healthy is hard enough for anyone to desire to run away. But it's in those moments of retreat that I wonder who my previous friends have become? Whom have I become?

... I was just thinking today...

No comments: