Thursday, August 09, 2007

Distant Missionary

So I've been reading a few missionaries web pages lately. They are quite interesting regarding their experiences and their daily abnormal-to-the-rest-of-the-worlds. And I am amazed by the devotion of a missionary yet again. They carry this focus of our purpose [to make disciples] and they appear not to be lost in the materials of this world. Oh, don't get me wrong, in no way is a missionary perfect, but they'd also be the first to tell you that with utter humbleness.

A quote hangs on my fridge: "I want to remind the committee that within six months they will probably hear that some one of us is dead. Yes, is it likely that eight Englishmen should start for Central Africa and still be alive six months after? Some of us at least-and it may be I-will surely fall before that. When the news comes, do not be cast down, but send someone else immediately to take the vacant place" - Alexander McKay.

It floors me the selflessness and the humbleness of those missionaries whose eyes are fully affixed on Christ. They have such purpose, such drive in their lives.

And then I am reminded that we, followers of Christ, are all called to be making disciples in our home towns [in scripture: "Jerusalem"], our outer communities ["Judea"], the places we'd least like to go ["Samaria"] and to the ends of the world.

These thoughts come to my mind because I have been quite selfish with my time lately. In my selfishness and laziness I have failed to accomplish critical tasks and even missed a field trip with my work kids. And the question arises in my mind, "Are you making disciples?" You know, for one who calls herself a Christ-follower, I don't feel like too much of a missionary this week.

Time for a change of thoughts.

-Thank You, Lord, for Your grace and power over the grave that I could even feel these convictions and even think about changing. Thank You for Your mercy. I love You, Lord.-

No comments: