Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Tall Man and 3 Little "Princesses"

So I have to take a second to brag on my man... bear with me. [Or don't. Cause it's your choice to read or not.] =)

The Saturday after Thanksgiving, my mother's boss got married. It was her and her husband's second marriage and the couple was a bit older so they had kids from their previous marriages. In light of their many grandchildren, Matt and I were hired for the evening to watch these "spirited" children. We had seven kids all under the age of six and a half. The ages went as follows; 6 1/2 (boy), two 4 1/2s (girls), one almost 3 year old (girl), one almost 2 year old (girl) and two 1 1/2 years olds (boys). Whew! What a crew! And yes, they were all in uncomfortable dress clothes. Our instructions? Keep them occupied.

With limited means and limited instruction, Matt and I worked purely on improv. Small goody bags were provided for all the kids, so I drained every inch of entertainment from those goody bags as Matt tracked down a high chair for an extra little one. When the goody bag joys were fully drained, the children took to running about the reception hall. Since these children were usually psychotic, the bride and groom encouraged their running and took no mind to the screams and giggles. So what did my sweet fiance do? That's right, he ran around the reception hall with them. No pride whatsoever. It was so neat to look up from the toddlers at the table and watch three little flower girls chasing after Matt as he weaved through columns in the middle of the reception hall. Those little girls ["Princesses" as one mom called them.] just laughed and laughed as they ran behind him.

After dinner was finally served for these little ones, we headed upstairs for video entertainment. Some of the little ones changed into more comfortable clothes, others stayed in formal wear. The parents came in and out of the room at random times to invite their little ones back downstairs. It was pretty laxed at that point.

Once video time was complete, the reception had elevated into dancing, which is always interesting because at that point I knew that alcohol had kicked in. [Not for me -I don't drink- but for the guests who would be dancing.] By the time we got everything all cleaned up back in the room and headed downstairs the guests were weaning, but Matt and I were still "on the clock" so to say. We found my Mom and Dad to chat a little while the seven kiddos were dancing. In the middle of watching the dancing, almost three year old Mackenzie ran over to me so I could hold her. [She had taken to me for some reason.] She told me all about her dancing.
Matt piped in, "You want to go dance with Monica?" knowing how much I hate to dance in public.
"Yeah!" Mackenzie took the bate.
"How about dancing with Matt, that's so much more fun!" I set the trap.
"Yeah!" came the responce.
I handed the child to Matt and off to the dance floor they went.

Matt held her and spun through the crowd. This huge smile beamed from her face.

"Visions of the future?" My Mom spoke leaning toward me.

"Oh yeah." I laughed knowing she could read it off my face.

So yeah... that's my sweet Matt for you.

And thus ends the tale of the Tall Man and 3 Little "Princesses".

No comments: