Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Chocolate rebels

Last night I went out to dinner with Matt. I really didn't know much about the whole affair, but Matt gave me more details as he discovered them himself. I wasn't worried... I was going out with Matt. Who cares where we went.

So we ended up going to the Schindler Event Center on Xenia Christian's high school campus. Yes.. CAMPUS. For a second I felt like I was at Michigan State driving the loop up the hill from the Spartan statue (Matt nodds his head knowing what I'm talking about... all others are clueless). Anyway... Xenia Christian Schools? Huge! And for serious... it's a lot like a college campus. What they do in and with all the buildings still baffles me mind.

We arrived just in time to meet up with "Pastor" (as Matt calls him). It was nice to be welcomed by familiar faces and we even got ot eat dinner with Matt's pastor and his wife, which was quite fun (as you will read later). We also ran into (not literally) Matt Burgy, Andy and Lisa Weems, Justin Williams, Chris from Crosswalk, and a few other less familiar (to me) faces in the big world of Baptist Association peeps.


It was in meeting all the people Matt introduced me to that I first learned of the name of this event. Check this out... "Ministers and their Mates". Can you tell a man came up with that title? Mates? First thing I thought of was a porpus, then maybe some other wild animal. HEHE.

But no fear, the evening rose well above the confinements of it's title.

After prayer, we were dismissed in a specific order to go to the buffet line. And where did our table fall in that order? Almost last. Carla (Pastor's wife) leaned in to explain, "It doesn't seem to matter where we sit each year, we are always last." Matt joked, "Well, I guess we'll be finding a new table."

And then came the announcement straight from heaven, "At 7:15 you may go to the chocolate fountain, but please hold off until 7:15."


At 7:15 we still sat at our table waiting for our turn for dinner.

"What time is it?" Carla asked Matt.
"7:15" came his smiling responce.
Pastor Steve looked at his watch, "It's 7:18 by my time."

"Let's go get chocolate," came Carla's brilliance.
"Are you serious" Matt Burgy asked as Carla and Pastor Steven, Matt and I got up from the table, "Oh, ok..." Matt Burgy jetted after us.

That's right... we had dessert first. And as we sat down to our dinenrs, we smiled at the long line that was forming at the chocolate fountain. That's right... we were the rebels. And who started off our rebellion? The Pastor's wife.


I have even higher respects for Carla after last night. Hehe. =)

No comments: