Saturday, December 16, 2006

Clingy, Clogged Cutie


Today I got the chance to watch Ezra. While Ezra isn't as small as the little one to the left, he's still tiny in comparison to most. Ezra is a whopping 18lbs eleven month old. Random funny trivia for you... Chloe Elizabeth, one of the Turner kids that I watched last night, is a whopping 17lbs and that child is almost 4 months old. So either Ezra is small for his age, Chloe is a strong 4 monther ... or both are true.
Nonetheless, Ezra and I hung out today. He was dropped off to me from an Aunt's car at about noon. His mom and dad are a few hours away doing wedding photography, so Ezra had an evening and a day of bouncing to two caregivers. I was excited to be one of them. I love that Ezra. He's a blast. And not to be unmentioned... he's a cutie too.
Ezra, on mom withdrawl, clung to my shirt, rubbing his runny nose on my sleeves. [Poor little guy.] We had a fairly uneventful day. We played, we ate, Ezra napped, we played, we ate, and then it was Ezra's bedtime. Preparing for some crying like at naptime, I began singing to Ezra as we climbed the stairs to his bedroom.

Think of me everyday
Hold tight to what I say
And if you think of me
I'll be with you

[Yes, the Veggie Tale song sung by Junior Asparagus... but seriously guys.. it was the first thing that popped into my head.]
Ezra happily clung to my shirt, much like the duration of the day. I sat down in the comfy rocking chair recliner and the fussing began.
Think of me everyday
Hold tight to what I say
And if you think of me
I'll be with you
I put Ezra into his sleeping sack (way cool invention, by the way) so as to simulate a comfy blanket that stays wrapped around the little buddy. Ezra wailed, angry that I had set him down to zip him all into his nighttime blankets. I picked him back up and he stopped crying. He rubbed his face on my arm once again, snuffling as he tried to breathe through his cold.
Think of me everyday
Hold tight to what I say
And if you think of me
I'll be with you
I walked about the dimly lit room, cuddling the baby in my arms.
Think of me everyday
Hold tight to what I say...
I looked down to see the sleeping babe.

And if you think of me
I'll be with you...
His heavy breathing consumed the quietness.
"What a little piece of Heaven," I thought.
To his stomach he was placed in the crib without clinging or waking.
Sweet little dear.
You know, I've been here at Ezra's house for about nine hours now, and I figure I'll be here at least until 10pm, but there are no promises of when I will be able to go home tonight.
But you know.... I have been so blessed to have had a quiet afternoon spending time with such a sweet kid. Despite his cold and his mommy deprivation, Ezra has been such a dear this afternoon and evening.
So I just wanted to post a little to let you know about the sweet little Ezra.
I love that kid!

No comments: