Monday, December 12, 2005

Cinderella Messages



I was reading an old post tonight. And I thought it helped explain why I have no desire to get a television.

Further expanding upon the previous explanation:
Television has become so difficult to filter these days. You can't even watch cartoons anymore without seeing something that is not "child friendly". Sure you could easily label me as "hiding from the real world", in fact I've even received a similar comment from a close friend. But at what point do we draw the line? See, some parents draw the line at rated R movies. But not all rated R movies; for example, I watched Die Hard with my dad when I was four. Some parents draw the line at sex scenes, kindly asking their child to close their eyes during such obscenities. My question would then be, are you filtering their minds or heightening their curiosity for the deleted scenes? How many of you out there did something that your parents specifically told you not to when they weren't watching just to see if you could get away with it? Some parents filter out the violent movies, but some of those very same parents are the ones allowing their kids to watch power rangers or powder puff girls.

Where do you draw the line?

At least for now, [later it will be up to me and my husband -- Lord granting--] my current solution is to chuck TV. Too often there are messages that I do not support that are flashed upon that screen and in no way do I want to encourage it or be associated with those who are apathetic to the messages that are being programmed into our heads. [All those Cinderella messages that creep in.] Tolerance is taught. And sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say, "No. Not me. Not my house." I can find better things to do with my time.

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore, I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

- 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27

No comments: