Sunday, December 11, 2005

From One Parking Spot to the Next

Today after enjoying lunch with Chris and Matt at the China Cottage by Apex, I began backing out of my parking spot as usual when I heard the sound of metal striking metal. Just as I was backing out of my spot, a lady came flying into the parking lot and hit me. Being as how I was backing out guess who's at fault? Regardless of the fault, I pulled the car forward and the lady whom I collided with pulled her car into a nearby parking spot. As I drove forward I heard something dragging. I got out of my car and sure enough, there was my bumper; it was attached to the lefthand side of my car, but the right side was dragging. There was a pile of rust and random bolts/etc on the concrete behind my car.
Oh boy. Came my thoughts.
Then I looked at the lady's car. Her front passenger door was nicely dented in. Looks like she won't be having any front seat passengers for a while.
Keep your cool, Monica. These things happen.
Matt pulled his car around the parking lot, preparing to leave (Chris had already left) and much to my blessing, Matt looked back. Matt pulled up alongside of me, turned his car off and got out.
"What do I do now?" I asked Matt. See, I've never been in an accident before, but I was smart enough to realize that insurance people needed to be contacted, so I was holding my insurance card.
Matt coached me through the affair and even went to meet the "less happy" lady with me. The woman spoke no words to me other than verifying information off of my insurance card. All other words she spoke to her friend, whom she was meeting for lunch. After exchanging info, the lady left and Matt shoved my bumper back on (or at least temporarily). Matt offered his car as a shelter from the wind while I called my Dad and the insurance company. After getting off the phone, Matt followed me home to make sure that my bumper would not fall out. I called Kelly to try to get directions for back-roads to take back to Wright State, but she didn't pick up. So, then I phoned Andi Hill to try to find a quicker route then I knew. See, I was doing ok until Andi asked why I couldn't drive on the highway. I choked back my tears as bravely as possible. Focus on facts, Monica. Focus on facts, not emotions. I worked myself through the potential breakdown.
I arrived safely home. Praise be to the Father alone because in all honesty, there's no reason that my bumper should have held together. And as I drove down Zink Road, Matt told me after I pulled into the parking lot at my apartment that he was watching the right side of my bumper begin to fall out and was praying down the whole road. He shoved the bumper back in again and then offered his own car for me to drive to work tomorrow as opposed to risking it with my own car. We discussed whether insurance would cover me driving his car, etc, but couldn't come to any solid conclusion. So, it was resided that Matt would speak to his father about the whole situation and see what would be best.
"Could I bother you for a bandaid though?" Matt said politely. And at once I remembered his bleeding finger from his initial efforts to replace my bumper. His pants were now stained with blood, but he brushed off the issue with gentleness; "I'm sure it'll come out; but if not, they're only pants. I can buy another pair."
I did well, I managed to keep my cool and focus on tasks. I gave Matt a hug [Thank you again, Matt. Sincerely, thank you.] and I kept it all bottled up until I shut the door behind him. Then the tears came.


It's just another reminder that my treasure will forever be in heaven.
[Not to allude that my car is something I treasure. But again, it's all that I have been given.]


I don't know how this situation is going to figure itself out between the insurance people and the repairs of my car and all, but I trust that the God that has provided for me in the past will provide for me in the future. I have to trust that fact. That's the only thing I can cling to. Afterall, a lot can happen from one parking spot to the next.

No comments: