Friday, February 03, 2012

Goodmorning World

I woke up early this morning and thought how I should use my time productively. Don't you like how quiet it is in the world before the day really begins? Maybe only you morning people know what I'm talking about. You sleep-in people are just laughing. ;)

I could feel the crisp air outside, unseasonably warm, yet still cool. I didn't even have to be out there thanks to large sliding glass doors. A train or two announcing their presence in the distance. Yes, the sweet sounds of morning.

The agenda today is one of delighting in fellowship. I look forward to spending some time with "the cousins" at a local children's museum. We usually have homeschooling today, but thus is the joy of homeschooling that we bumped it to yesterday to accommodate a little over-due visiting.

As a gracious part of Matt's parent's Christmas gift to our family, they gave us season passes to a local children's museum and then expanded the pass to include a whole host of nearby museums and attractions (like zoos) around the United States. Such a thoughtful and blessing-filled bunch they are, those Grandparents. "The Cousins" have a similar pass and thus play dates in the quiet mid-morning hours of the weekdays have spurred and continue to spur from such delights.

Last night I wasted a few hours on the couch beside Mr. Right, soaking in American Idol (really the auditions are the best part of that show) and "The Finder". It's not something I pride myself on doing, sitting and watching TV for two hours, but sometimes the cleaning and homeschooling prep is done and it's nice to do something together. Hopefully we'll get back to our Lego video games soon. =) It's fun to whack someone to pieces (literally) in laughing play. I love how we can be "kids" together.

Read some encouraging reports on an old friend's adoption blog. Ironically enough, I watched her children when they were younger than mine are currently. That's one crazy thought that ages me. I'm excited to track their unification story as they bring home their newest family members from Haiti - a sibling group of three, adding to their bio three. Such a wonderful time of celebration and love.

Got report that my dear friend, Theresa, has malaria. Thank the Good Lord for medicine that makes Malaria common-cold oriented to dear African missionaries. God is such a good God to give those willing to serve "the least of these" a safety net too. Praying rest and healing over Theresa.

This weekend holds another Upward basketball game - this time scrimmaging my Matt. Hehehe. Let the competition begin. Kidding - that's nothing like Upward. But we can sure pass silly glances back and forth during the game of "you're going down." My sweet little team is so pumped up to hear their names called and enjoy their moments of glory. Hoping my girls will be cooperative and kind to Mama amid their involuntary personal cheer leading recruitment. They've done decently at cracker and coloring book distractions amid my "coaching techniques". ("Get on out there and play kids.... good luck, have fun!")  I'm proud of my "try to sit still" toddler and "I just want to be a part of it all" preschooler. They have had many examples of patience and grace from the "player's bench."

Hope you're able to get out and enjoy this unseasonably warm weather we've been having. The neighborhood has been thoroughly graced with our "let's take a walk" presence lately - let alone the park. Though I must say that as she is beginning to come into her own personality, Ms. Rachael, has voiced her "inside over outside" opinions over the past few days. It doesn't change her UV ray needs, but alas, her bookworm character is almost fully emerged. I can foresee many book picnics in seasons to come for my pasty-white brunette. Oh, but Blondy? She's too busy exploring all the new things she can do "all by herself" to slow down for any foolish indoor play.

We "rode" our bikes over at the church gym yesterday. My preference was outside. Rachael's preference was inside watching a movie. So we compromised and we got indoor gym play. The bikes are only as fun as pedaling frustrations. But the bleachers? Oh they are a whole new level of joy. For 20 minutes there was bleacher play: walking the bleachers, crawling through the bleachers, crawling under legs on the bleachers. Repetition, repetition, repetition. And the joy thereof. Activity comes in all forms - I'm just thrilled for activity.

And speaking of activity, I better get my devotion time in because activity will be waking in an hour.

Thanks for sharing in this journey with me.

How have you been journeying lately?


No comments: