Friday, February 24, 2012

Useable Space

After taking a few pictures of Rachael's homeschooling I noticed my ugly, explosive school shelving unit in the background. Ever done that? Found some nasty, "Oh I really need to fix that" section of your house in the background of your favorite memories?

So with the inspiration of a dear friend, Kassie's, recent Spring cleaning kick, I tackled the "should have been done months ago" task of the school shelves.

First came the ever-so-obnoxious task of figuring out what to do with the puzzles. I had been looking around for seriously months at various puzzle-stacking racks. Man those things aren't cheap! And I was nervous that after spending our life inheritance on one of those said racks, we would have the dreaded, unthinkable happen to us: we'd get a new puzzle - one too many for the rack. And since our children are not past the puzzle using years, I figured the dreaded would repeat itself many, many times. =)

So I recently looked into other methods and found this one to be realistic, cheaper than half a puzzle rack's cost, and affective for other non-puzzle yet bulky items. Thus I bring to you (cue the music and pull out the megaphone): The Ultimate Puzzle Organizing Experience!!!

I used an old dowel rod, three screw in hooks (that fit said dowel rod on the ends and in the middle - cause puzzles are heavy), hefty zipable gallon and 2.5 gallon sized bags, shower curtain hooks, and binder clips (large metal pinchers to use a practical description). I screwed the hooks into the top shelf's ceiling of our bookshelf, alternating directions to avoid the inevitable "everything falls off the rack when it's bumped" possibility when you have small children shopping through the puzzles. Then I hung the dowel rod (Thanks Jenney and Brian for using your sweet saw to cut it down to size - my steak knife and box opener blade would never have gotten me there.) Then I hung the shower curtain hooks (I chose c-hooks because I wanted us all to be able to get the binder clips off without Rachael and eventually Abi being dependent on Mommy only to wrestle them off - though I am aware that this makes Abi able to take them off right now during the "don't touch this- EVER" training phase.) Then I bagged up our puzzles in the gallon or 2.5 gallon sized bags (I found the larger wooden puzzles - those bigger than a sheet of paper- in need of the 2.5 gallon size to fit well). Then put our lovely clip on them and hang them on the curtain hooks.


As seen in the picture, some heavier puzzles either needed to be clipped to the clip itself (binder clips providing said aid) or the bag needed to rest far enough down that the puzzle could use the shelf to relieve the weight - thus not actually hanging, but attached nonetheless.

I also found the bagged method QUITE helpful in bagging up other "what the heck do you do to store this" homeschool items such as the loved and hated Cootie catcher bug pieces (Does Abi ALWAYS have to end up with one in her mouth even though she's not playing?). [Does anyone actually play the legit game or are you like me and just attach the legs and crazy mouths/eyes for freeplay?] Or the ever loved, but crazy hard to store knobbed and chunky puzzles. I also found it a nice way to store the awkward shaped things and the "we would actually use this if we saw that we had it" items.

Some things will always need a box - like our beautiful and rolling wooden train (Melissa and Doug). I love that train, but that space-hog is far better in a stackable box than occupying 6 puzzle spaces on my shelf. And with the addition of the dowel-rod method my shelves went from this:

(Large open space on top shelf had "Please let these survive Abi's toddlerhood" books that I decided to move to safer quarters.)


to this:
(No worries, Jes, the indoor snowball fight just moved to the game shelf since apparently it's frowned upon to snow-bomb your preschooler during quiet homeschool work - who knew?!)


Yay for actually seeing what you have, spending a total of $13 on the project and getting to see that cute picture of baby Rachael from her first Easter that I haven't seen on the mantle in over 6 months.

 Oh and for those of you wondering what's the deal with the "Stop" and "Go" signs on the shelves. We have non-readers here, but I have placed these signs on the shelves to remind my non-readers of the things their "need for independent" selves can do without Mommy and those they need to come ask Mommy to do. Due to Abi's oral explorations, small pieces are in the "Stop and come ask Mommy" section and require tabletop play. Added bonus? These signs are helpful for babysitters when we have to run out quickly and I forget to explain the school shelves.

Maybe these ideas could be helpful to you.
If not? Eh, thanks anyway for reading my organizational delights. =)


2 comments:

Sarah said...

This is a really nifty idea. We have a bookshelf that's overrun with books, musical instruments, puzzles, etc. When we get into the new house and reorganize I think I might steal this :)

Monica said...

Oh all ideas are for stealing for sure. =) I love passing on helpfuls. Enjoy!