Thursday, September 20, 2012

Our Little Joy

Our little Hannah Joy is now 2 weeks old as of yesterday. She is a wonderful nurser, good sleeper, and kind little thing that has fit right in amongst the joy of her sisters. Funny to admit, but our lifestyle is really quite conducive for the addition of a newborn and thanks to the grace of God that Hannah's so mild-tempered and such a good nurser, it's been less of an overwhelming transition than I expected in moving from a household of two dependents to three.There are certainly moments of "Mommy only has two hands, my dear children" that creep into our world, but I have found life to be quite kinder on me and the girls than I had anticipated.

Abi has also done very well with the transition despite my previous concern regarding Abi's "Mommy only" moments. We have done our best to ease the transition by not making our family "all about the baby". We don't constantly emphasize Rachael and Abi in the context of their relationship to their newest sister. We're not constantly asking them for help with Hannah or trying to push a relationship that has yet to form with Hannah. Their sisterhood will grow on it's own and we take delight in Rachael and Abi's initiative in their relationship with Hannah, like when they ask to hold her or help pick out her clothes, but really are working hard to carry on life as "usual". And due to Hannah's "sleeping around the clock" habits, it has been a gentler transition of shared time as moments of needing balance come and go.

I am not anticipating Hannah's addition to our family to be easy and carefree, but as has been the case with Rachael and Abi's various life stages, we are all adjusting to each other in an effort to learn how to love. Sometimes the adjustment feels one-sided: just ask Hannah when she has to wait to be fed because Abi needs a new diaper, or ask Abi when she needs to settle for Mommy reading her a book on the couch because it's time for Hannah to eat, or ask Rachael when Abi needs a Mommy-snuggle time and Rachael has to wait to show me her new baby doll set-up in the playroom. But I am thankful that the efforts to teach Rachael and Abi to love each other through serving each other and taking care of each other (which means sharing Mommy and Daddy too) has naturally and comfortably transitioned into a new normal with Hannah as well. They all have their moments of not wanting to share (so do I, I must confess), but it's nothing that Matt and I feel incapable or unequipped to parent through. It's a life lesson we all learn together.

So I'll share some Hannah pictures for those that we are not blessed to live close enough to and for those that are enjoying soaking up our Hannah too. =)


 Those studying eyes. - Love 'em.


 A little personality, no? ;)


 I never want to forget these moments...


 First experience in her crib (and the subsequent short nap).


 Meeting Aunt Sarah for the first time at her soccer game.
[Hannah's first date-night with Mommy/Daddy at 8 days old.]


2 weeks old

Thank you all for your prayers, encouragement and support as our family moves into our new world of three, age three and under. =)

- We're adoring it.



- Thank you, Jesus.


1 comment:

Mom said...

I am so glad that me leaving did not create more of a problem. I am even more thankful that I was able to share the first adjustment moments and contribute in a way that helped with the transition. Hannah is beautiful and I'm glad she is contributing to YOUR joy as well.