Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Least

While sitting on my porch swing during the girls afternoon nap, I was reading the Word. I read a bit about doing unto "the least of these" (Matt. 25:40) serving Jesus. I flipped on to the next passage in our daily Scripture Readings and read Philippians chapter 1. Paul spoke there of how his current situation was spreading the gospel.

I was just praying in my heart to use my home as a ministry when I looked up from the Bible to see a young teenager stumbling across the road, carrying a baby pumpkin seat. The afternoon sun had come out and the girl was obviously fatigued. My first thought was wishing I had a stroller to give her to help her with her load. But then thinking of how God has not given us so much to give out, I then thought what I had.

I walked over to the road and offered her a drink, in which she gladly came. Asking her about her baby, she offered that she was 3 months old. I came out of the house with a drink and peaked in on the little one. A huge smile came from the baby that melted my heart. I instantly thought how the child had no control over the situation and my heart immediately thought of the many, many children needing adoption from situations far worse.

The young mother asked me for a phone. When I came out from the house with our phone, she proceeded to call someone nearby and explain that she believed she was miscarrying, had been refused help from someone she knew and saw up the street, and needed someone to watch the baby while she went to the hospital. The person on the phone offered their help to watch the child and the conversation ended. I offered the mother a few female supplies to help and then she walked on with a bit more energy in her step.

I was stuck at the house with two sleeping little ones otherwise I would have happily driven her to her destination. But I am so amazed how the Lord opened an opportunity literally from my front porch to serve someone in their need. And how that precious baby's smile is burned into my mind.

I hope and pray the Lord NEVER stops bringing people by our house.

God blows me away!

Ministry is all around us.



All we need is willing hands. 







- To the least of these, my Jesus.


*** Please hear my heart that I am not trying to brag and bring glory to myself in this post. Instead, I just wanted to share the goodness of our God to use open and willing hands. Many times I have far from open and willing hands, but this time was different and God just blew me away.

No comments: