Saturday, June 11, 2011

Unharnessed.

You know, God is changing my heart. It's so hard to put into words. But suddenly some of the things I have valued seem to feel earthly and temporary. Stuff feels like stuff more. And Kingdom works are consuming my mind. I find myself consumed by the burdens, the hope and the promise of an all-sustaining God who provides every need.

It's in the face of the poor's needs that I question how I define need. It's in the way missionaries live that I question what I feel I deserve. It's in the heart of the gospel that I question my drive and my motive. It's in the blessing of our culture that I question my standard of success. It's in your face, Lidia, in your eyes, Tofic, that I am challenged to live a life of surrender and obedience. Where am I looking for Jesus today? Have I missed His life all around me?

Lidia and Tofic, you are normal kids - sinning, smiling, trying to figure out life. And I still marvel in the mystery that by me just admitting you exist and you have needs and obeying, my heart is drawn to Jesus.

You know, I truly believe that our faith is a journey, peeks and valleys, rough roads and smoother ones. And yet I also wonder how much of us is supposed to waver and how much of us are we to allow to be consumed by our culture's hierarchy. No hippy rebellion here, just trying to live with a healthy Godly worldview. Tired of shutting my eyes in so many ways and yet finding the hope in opened eyes, despite the desperate need of the world.

It's funny how God's call to discipleship doesn't necessarily mean leaving all behind will take us beyond the realms of our neighborhood physically. Though casting the net aside and following Him is still the devotion desired and required, God is opening me to the reality of being a missionary in my home. He can touch the world from our front doorstep. Oh what He has and will continue to do with a surrendered life.

I wonder how I've missed it in the past - been so caught up in me. It's like the blinders have come off and the sight has returned. Jesus is so much bigger than we give Him credit. Jesus is so much bigger in this world than we see from North America. I've prayed for missionaries in the past, but they still felt across the seas. Today they feel like next door neighbors. And I ring their doorbells when I hit my knees in the morning.

I find myself hurting for their hurts. I find myself crying over the poor's loss. I find myself inspired and desiring to be more obedient through the stories of the faithful and the God-exalting. Devotion stirs devotion. God's Word seems voidless. And all that changed is my morning routine. Who would have thought that a morning routine change would make Africa feel so close? He's changing me.

Oh the power we Christians have harnessed closely in prayer. Not the cheap brush-off kind of Prayer. I'm talking "I believe You can accomplish this" prayer. The power to hit our knees for more than a never-ending sick list. When prayer becomes more than a mode of gossip. When prayer becomes more than a "church thing". When you start talking to your Best Friend in the mornings (and at night, and at noon.. and ...) about your desire to add one more to His Kingdom. "Please, Jesus, even just this one more..."

Justice seems to matter more. Patience seems to be attainable. Prayer becomes a strategy in battle. Neighbors spread across oceans. Your heart breaks for injustice and overflows in accomplishment and joy. Love becomes more than enough if it's done in Jesus' Name. And discipleship feels natural when Jesus consumes your thoughts.

I don't know if my face is glowing. I don't really care if I scare some by the fact that I have seen God. All I know is, I don't ever want to be the same. I don't ever want to go back. I'm no less filthy than before, I'm just more repentant. And all I know is I want today to be a little more obedient than yesterday. That's a starting point at least.

My heart breaks for those who have yet to see - truly see - the heart of God. Oh, Jesus... you know my prayers. Open us up, Jesus. Please, Jesus, that You would be more and more and that obedience would be our worship.


- changing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Monica said...

thanks Jess.

Matt said...

It thrills my heart to hear you express what God is doing in your life. It is an answer to so many prayers and I can't hold back the joy (it's kinda like when your a kid and you have that smile that you just can't control). I see the 'fire in your bones' and it's bursting out in so many glorious ways. God only knows the plans He has for you and for our family...I look forward to watching them unfold with you by my side. I love you!