Thursday, February 10, 2011

Changes

As you might have noticed, I opened the window and brightened up the blog page a bit. It was time for a change and I enjoy the yellow. If the text is hard to read in the contrast (since I don't usually read my text on my actual blog site) then let me know and I'll see what I can do to fix it.

As with this blog page change, we have been instilling little changes in our household to better the environment (no, I have not been evicted). We're trying harder to focus on Jesus in our everyday lives and integrate more of Christ into our thoughts and conversations. Thus has begun the following changes:

- the Family Goals : We set up 3 goals (summaries of the values we wanted to add to our lives in the next year) and two specific sub-goals underneath each of the three goals. Our goals are as follows:
  1. Integrate more scripture into our daily lives
  2. Talk more about Jesus
  3. Pray and Worship more as a family
We've added writing scriptures on bathroom mirrors, reading the same scriptures daily as your spouse (good accountability at mealtimes), praying with our kids, a family worship time weekly, and a few other things to try to grow closer to Jesus as a family. We're taking it piece by piece and integrating each piece into our lives until it becomes normal. Then when the year turns over we can assess our ability to do these things and add/change things as needed to better serve Christ as a family. Our hopes is that instilling these attributes with Rachael and Abi while they're babies will help it not to seem so foreign to keep Jesus on your mind later in life.

Also had a little fun in making a scrapbook page of our family goals, framing it and putting it on the wall.

We also added a Mommy chore chart so as not to find myself distracted and overwhelmed by the self-destructing house. I made a second scrapbook page saying "to do" with the days lined up much like a calender. Then I put it in a frame up on the wall and sue a dry-erase marker to write the chores onto the glass of the frame. That way things can be subject to change should one of those days arise in which Abi REFUSES to be put down. It's nice to feel the accomplishment of completing a task and saying, "Sorry, that isn't my focus for today" when distractors arise (no, I won't let a toilet explosion keep flooding the house until I can get it written on the chore list).

These two changes, which ultimately have resulted in more changes, have not only helped me feel more organized in my efforts to better serve my family, but also help me feel like I'm able to contribute more and use my time more honoring to God. Managing the chore list and reminding myself of the ultimate goal to raise a God-honoring family is pushing us closer to Christ. (Reminds me of God telling the Israelites to keep the Word of God attached to their foreheads -Ex. 13:9- and repeat the Law of the Lord day and night -Psalm 1). Funny what a little intentionality will do for the soul.

How are you finding new ways to bring Christ to the forefront of your family's minds?

2 comments:

Jes said...

LOVE your scrapbook idea. Very cool, tangible way to remind yourself of your family goals and chores, but still be pretty and artistic at the same time.

Totally might steal that idea. LOVE IT.

Monica said...

please steal away. I stole the idea of family goals form a magazine article and then figured we could do the same thing as the cleaning chart idea. It was fun to make a crafty little display. =)