Saturday, February 19, 2011

Eyes Wide Open

We enjoyed a Sara Groves concert last night. As I commented on Facebook, it was such a blessing to see the face of my little Rachael light up when Sara sang her favorite song. It's like a whole new world opened on that toddler's face as she heard the familiar favorites that fill our car speakers and warm our home, played and sung from the heart of the writer on stage, behind the piano in a local church. Two worlds collided. And that toddler just had to stand on the pew and see Sara from our seats - five or so rows back. Rachael's little voice singing along as nearly a years worth of memorized songs poured from her little mind. Too precious. Too precious.

Next time Matt and I see Sara Groves, and the next time she'll be n this area for that matter, is at the Orphans weekend in May that we're planning on attending. I didn't even know this was going on, in all honesty, until Matt wrapped the information and gave it to me for my birthday. See... it's way more than an excuse to sing along to my favorite artist (though that is quite thrilling in itself).

Matt and I feel compelled and called to adopt. We're still in the development stages of what that will mean for our family and feel very comfortable with being on the outer circle and beginning phases of that process. It's just one more way that we're striving to serve Jesus with all that we have. (Don't worry this won't be the last that you hear of this, much to your chagrin.)


I've been reminded lately in all things that there is so much more out there for us to do and pray for. It's so easy to get caught in the child-raising phase that before you know it the routines become selfish, as if your family was the only one that existed. Don't worry, people, I'm not talking about throwing out naptime -- no, no, that's for the good of mankind. =) But I am talking about using time wisely.

It's looking for those conversations about Jesus. Seeking those times to encourage a fellow believer. Wanting Jesus to be more and more in your conversation. That Kingdom work would ocurr and not just more small-talk.

Because believe it or not, each day we leave a legacy. A legacy exemplifying who we are, what we value, and why we keep on going. And I want my legacy to be more than good morals and good values and nice words.

- Oh that they would see Jesus. -

And that I'd do better at getting of the way.

That I may decrease that HE may increase.


I'm not trying to control the conversation or manipulate others. I'm just wanting to leave good seeds and walk beside others as we figure out what it is to constantly seek His face.

I mean come on, if He can use this filthy rag then I know he can use any one of us.

In the words of a sweet Sara Groves song, "I'm gonna keep my eyes wide open, keep my eyes wide open."



- wanting Your perspective to trump mine.

No comments: