Saturday, November 26, 2005

A Cup of Popcorn and the Kids



I had the opportunity to go to The Fantastic Four with Matt Stauffer and "the kids", Sarah and James Stauffer. (Sarah and James are Matt's little sister and brother and are commonly referred to as "the kids".) At the theatre, Matt nominated himself as "popcorn/etc go-getter" and I happily remained with Sarah and James in eager anticipation of the soon-arriving popcorn. On trip #1 to the concession stands, James went with Matt while Sarah and I had a little heart-to-heart.
"So, what's it like having so many brothers?" I struggled to start a conversation with the 12 year old.
"I don't know. It's ok, I guess." Came back the stereotypical reflection of societal influence on the pre-teen's apathetic mind. [ooo, don't I sound like a sociology major... Oh wait... I am... for now.] "It can be annoying sometimes." - And that part of the conversation was done. -
"So, do you have any pets?"
And thus began the long history of pets that had died while in the Stauffer household. Slightly morbid, yes, but I was grateful that Sarah was choosing to disclose any information to me. In fact, I was even told of an animal accident in which only family members were supposed to know. So I considered it a compliment that apparently something within my character was acknowledged by this 12 year old as "trustworthy".

The reviews began and Matt and James returned with goodies. Some ways into the movie there became a popcorn shortage, sending Matt back to the concession stand for "concession Stand Trip #2". [Officially labeled by yours truly. ;) ] Taking advantage of the empty seat between us, James leaned over to me.
"Are you liking the movie?" He yell-whispered.
"Oh yes."
"Shhhhhh," a father reprimanded from a row back.
There was silence.
Then came a voice.
"Are you liking the movie?" James belted out again. Apparently he had not heard my response before.
I leaned closer to him and spoke with joy, "Yes, James, I am!"
Another Shhhh.
James sat back down, satisfied with my contentment.
I didn't mind the shhhing. That man could shhh all he wanted. James was trying his best to be a good host. And at the wee age of 6? I was thoroughly impressed.
Then came the comment as the child's eyes remained glued to the movie screen, "You and Matt must be good friends, huh?"
"Yep! ... We are." I smiled.
"Yeah, good, good friends." He ended as he went back to his silent movie-trans.
Matt returned with popcorn reinforcements.
"Close your eyes," Matt told James when a less "kid-friendly" section of the movie popped up. (I was glad Matt had already seen the movie so he could monitor what images were impressed into his sibling's minds.)

It was fun seeing a movie with Matt and "the kids". Yes, the movie itself was entertaining, but I found my real entertainment from watching Matt and "the kids". James attempted to be a good host. Sarah pointed out every child she knew in the theatre and generally tried her best to distance herself for the label of "child". Matt tried his best (and he did an excellent job indeed) at "calming" James and Sarah back to their normal selves when they felt the need to show off for "the guest".

At the end of the movie, James asked me as we were leaving, "Are you glad we took you?"
"Oh yes, James. I am!"
He hopped off with a smile.

We got into the parking lot and James began utilizing the energy that he had been storing all throughout the movie by poking Matt and backing away before Matt could reach him.
"Alright, James... that's it." Matt turned around, grabbed the child and threw him over his shoulder. James laughed, expressing his delight in hanging upside down. Matt pretended to throw James into cars and run him into stuff. James, at the mercy of Matt, squealed and laughed with absolute trust in his brother's care. Sarah leaned closer to me as we walked, "Boys..." She spoke with a teenager attitude. I giggled.

They're fun!

No comments: