Saturday, October 29, 2005

Clash


So I've come to the realization that I completely clash with the college lifestyle. Other than the obvious non-drinking, non-smoking, virgin testimony that distinguishes my character, very basic elements of my life clash with the stereotypical college student.
  1. I'm a morning person. And we all know that going to bed at 10:30 and getting up at 6 is highly atypical for the college night-owl who sleeps in til noon.
  2. I work. That's right, I actually have to take responsibility for my own lifestyle and 'needs'.
  3. I actually enjoy edifying fellowship. Our generation encourages destruction of characters, but oddly enough, I delight in encouraging of each other to reach the fullest potential.
  4. Oh yes, and then there's the ever-defining label which encourages much dispute and persecution... I am a Christ-follower! Not only that, but I actually stand behind a lifestyle of purity in all aspects? Not perfect, but trying to live to the standard I am called to. How unheard of!

See, funny thing is I am in constant conflict with the world. In no way should my lifestyle reflect a typical worldly view. So why does it shock you, society? Is it that you have become accustomed to the Christians of today who call on the name of the Lord only in convenience, giving nothing of themselves in devotion, laughing at self-sacrifice? That's right, I may very well be lumped into the category of Christianity, but I am a Christ-follower. I am actively seeking His glory and His fame, not my own. Don't place me on a pedestal, don't worship worship, don't praise praise... NO! Please, just fall down with me in front of the utter power and glory of our Lord. Admit daily that we are nothing without God. Therefore, we can go nowhere, we can do nothing without our God.

Dying world, please see that!

And Christians?

When the praise music stops, when the 'church' walls crumble, when the suffering comes, when the persecution is too much to bear, when the hymnals are lost, when the powerpoint freezes, when the cross necklace breaks, when the material fails... Christ-followers? What then?

"Yet I will rejoice in the LORD!
I will be joyful in God my Savior!

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
He enables me to go on the heights. "

[Hab. 3:18-19]

Where is your strength?

~ Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments: