Friday, July 20, 2012

Last Piece of the Room Flip Puzzle

A little while ago now, I started a series of home decorating/organizing projects to use our space more effectively. It involved building the wall-mounted bookshelves and moving the toys out of our living room, remember?

Well I changed around our "office space" too and promised I'd let you see the finished product. That project sat a little more on the back burner and I finally finished it earlier this week. So..... drum roll please.....

Before:



After:

 Viola!

Our new office space has everything in it there was before (ta da!!!) hehe. PLUS all our "please ask Mommy" homeschooling supplies.


In order to avoid tempting disobedience, I went to the thrift store and purchased two sheer-ish curtains. I wanted them to be sheer-ISH because even the wonderful organization in clear tubs, etc behind them can begin to look messy with all it's business.


So with these cute little curtains cut, reinforced at the top and stapled onto my bookshelves, it helps with the "no touchy, please" hint, keeps with our black/white "office" furniture theme, and makes it look not quite as cluttered. I also added a panel of sheer curtain to the underside of the desk to follow-suit and really section off the space.


And again, for my non-reading crowd, I added my stop signs as a reminder that while I don't mind them standing around in this space, curious hands need to stay in pockets.


The girls have been very good and respectful of the privacy of the space/items in the space as well as their happy little welcome selves in sharing in electronic fun with me.

To give you a general feel for how "the office" falls in the layout of the room, here's a pic to help.



I like how open the "office" remains despite the fact that I turned the desk to cut the room up a bit. And now I have this gorgeous sliding glass window to gaze out while blogging [Sorry in advance for the spacey posts. ;) ].

It's not ridiculously impressive, but I'm happy with the space changes and I like that it allows for function, some cuteness, and still being a part of family life while getting a few "officey" things done.

Thus closes the chapter on the living room/fireside room flip.

=)

No comments: