Thursday, March 03, 2011

Paradise




Returned from our two day rendez-vous in Louisville to the normal. Funny how much I've found enjoyment in the normalcy. The hotel stay was great; Matt at the Youth Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday from 8a-4p with a few breaks and the girls and I with no schedule, hanging out in the hotel room, going for a walk in the beautiful weather and enjoy the Seminary campus recreation center. Tuesday night, after the meeting ended, Matt and I enjoyed a little dinner and swimming with the girls - AKA sitting in one foot of baby pool water while Rachael ran in circles and Abi splashed. We looked foolish, but it was so much fun just to laugh and play childish games and be in the moment with our kids. No pride. Wednesday, we took the girls park-hoping to a few really fun parks with great slides, swings, ride-on bouncers, and a merry-go-round. Parks plus a wonderful walk alongside the Louisville riverfront and with full lunch bellies we spent the girls' naptime traveling back home.

Once stepping into the house it was funny how the normal hit us: dog barking, cat zipping about, laundry piles, toy explosions, dishes overload, etc.

And I just had to laugh this morning; 6:55am wake-up call - both Rachael and Abi in sync, nursing the baby while cuddling a not-quite-awake toddler, discovery of no toilet paper, 7am phone call with Goga (my mom) in which Rachael got it into her head that we were going to eat cinnamon rolls, improved cinnamon rolls from crescent rolls while rescuing my hair-tie from the cat, attacking Daddy at 8am as his sleeping in comes to a screeching halt (I couldn't help it!), playing in Mommy and Daddy's bed with Rachael's additions: thrown about foam puzzle pieces and a play cordless phone - on which Matt talked to 'Aunt Jes' about her making him snicker doodle cookies. hehe., Matt jolting out of bed and running for the oven at the realization that the kitchen timer had been going off for a while, sawing cinnamon rolls off the ungreased cookie sheet (promise I followed the ungreased directions) while rescuing another hair-tie and handing the baby salad tongs to pacify, joking and tickling with Matt, serving the toddler while Pounce lives up to his name in stalking and attacking my pajama pant legs. Listening to Rachael's rendition of "Jesus Loves Dakota" sung to our dog with an interlude of pleading for more applesauce, while feeding the baby oatmeal-apples-green beans - buttering, jellying and eating my breakfast between baby spoonfuls. Matt emerging from showering bliss in just enough time to grab breakfast, wash toddler hands, put in her requested Praise Baby movie, and grab a kiss on the way to the office. And as I sit here typing these words with two fingers the above song goes through my head, baby asleep in my arms - just realized the missed dried baby food on her nose, with cat attempting to find space on my lap - sitting on the baby- while in a purry mood. I'm telling you, people, there's no place I'd rather be.. oooo just another day in paradise.

-loving my circus! =)

5 comments:

Jes said...

LOL. Pounce needs to stop sitting on the baby. Baby will get all hairy. Bad Pounce.

Tell Matt I'll make him snickerdoodles for when we hang out later on this month. :)

Love you!

Monica said...

hehe. It was funny because Matt's phone convo went like this:
"Hi! It' Aunt Jes. Oh! What are you doing? MAKING COOKIES? What kind? SNICKERDOODLES? I should have married you."
Then Matt called Mom:
"Hi, Goga. What are you doing? MAKING COOKIES? What kind? SNICKERDOODLES?"

Monica said...

P.S. Abi's so used to Pounce sleeping on her when she falls asleep in my lap that she doesn't even flinch anymore. hehe. Guess he likes a warm water-bed type breathing machine. =)

Mom (Goga) said...

You paint a nice picture of the word home.

Monica said...

Thanks, Mom. Sometimes I feel like it's a water-color picture; tricky situations making unintended "new colors", but it sure is the joy in the journey. And home just wouldn't be home without a few "new colors" here and there. =)