Saturday, March 12, 2011

I wanna be a part of it...

So there's a part of me that is a traveler at heart. You see those gorgeous landscapes and something inside says, "Beam me up Scotti!" And there's something attractive about the city. No it's not the pollution, crazy traffic, violence or foul language that stirs that little place in my heart (surprising?). It's the glamorized tourist inside me that says, "Maybe some day..."

O the fun of traveling about in a confused tourist bubble, hoping you don't stand out too bad. I guess in my traveler's heart I never really care to look like a native. I just want to see the tall buildings, taste the cut little Mom and Pop shop bagels, and take a picture of the monument nearby. Just enjoy the simple things in the world of reading signs and learning new stuff.

And while the gorgeous sandy beach with the crystal clear water sounds so amazing and looks exquisite in those panoramic shots the fact is that Matt and I burn quite easily so the sunblock expense alone is enough for us to look around for a nearby city. Hehe. Maybe I'm a city girl at heart? Eh, I'm not so sure. Don't think that the over-stressed pressure of being in a non-sleeping place is all that desirable - especially for this Mom who hopes to sleep through the night on a regular basis when, say, the kids move out to college. But walking about in a city during the day, riding the subway, checking out all the cute little shops as you walk by their front windows...

There's a little shopping center around the Dayton area called 'The Greene.' It's a high-end outdoor mall that's designed to look like 3 or 4 city blocks. The perfectly swept roads, charity-only parking meters, cute little store fronts, wind whipping around the building corners, and a little 'fountain square' type meeting point make this little shopping area a cute little city in itself. Maybe I'm in love with those Frank Sinatra-ish movie era cities. A Roman Holiday. Breakfast at Tiffany's.

But whatever it is a little part of me thinks of vacationing in a city and then returning to "the quiet life" in our little suburb home.

White picket fence? Having my cake and eating it too?

You better believe it.


Alrighty, back to the real world. =)

No comments: