Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Twenty-Four

Hours in a day.
Hours without good sleep - oh wait, what's sleep?

Yesterday I turned 24. Yes, world I'm one step closer to the grave.
Matt mentioned over a crableg dinner (heck yes), "For a few months you will be two years older than me." He let the silence of that statement fill the air. "Cradle robber."
That's right friends, I have robbed the cradle TWICE. And I'm not giving either back.

Yesterday was a fairly uneventful 'birthday' despite a wonderful evening out alone with my husband. But the day was filled with wonderful things. Matt and I enjoyed stealing his Dad away from work for a while. We found a pair of glasses that Matt and I both like to replace Matt's 6 year old pair. Due to circumstances I attempted breastfeeding in the car (awkward, but successful). We had Rachael's 2 week weight check (9 lbs, 3 ounces of sweetness). And then came a wonderful trip to Red Lobster while my mom and dad watched our little one. I enjoyed the uneventfulness, I'm not going to lie.

I guess birthdays get like that when you get older. It's not always going to be the five year old hype of balloons and party hats. Matt asked me what I wanted for my birthday after the poor thing couldn't find what he wanted to get me within the realms of a realistic budget. It's kinda sad but I couldn't come up with a single thing I wanted all day long. I'm not really sure why that is. But Matt's ideas of presents that he revealed to me that failed to work out sounded wonderful. And I honestly couldn't think of anything else that would be a fun birthday spoiler. I mean we could have gone for the practical of replacing my seriously dying hairdryer (for the whopping twice a year that I use it to keep from getting hypothermia on a "running late" day) or replacing my running shoes that I stretched out with my swollen prego feet. But there's something about replacing items that we would have otherwise replaced that makes it not really feel like a birthday present. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just psycho.

Thanks for the "Happy Birthday" Jes and Aunt Yvonne. It was quite nice not to have to prompt you both or have a tag-on 'happy birthday' after someone close to you spilled the beans in a crowd of people.

Anyway, twenty-four doesn't feel any different than twenty-three did. But it does mean one thing, while having a baby and a husband and a wonderful home I am one step closer to being responsible enough to rent a car. Oh the pride!

Alrighty, it's 4:15a and Rachael has finally decided to stop screaming. Time for a few hours of sleep before the 6am feeding. That's right friends, Rachael is learning self-soothing and not getting what she wants after she's already gotten what she needs. And I am learning to finally cave into napping during the day - despite wanting Rachael to cave into napping at night. =)

G'morning/night everyone.

No comments: