Thursday, May 08, 2008

One For Me

Cast:
Me - myself
"the guy" - representative of Matt in appearance, but not in character
Miranda - my friend Miranda in appearance, though not in character
Chris - Miranda's husband, yet non-existent in the plot


Sketch:

Me and the guy are riding in a car late one night.

Me: Miranda wants to marry you as a backup plan in case her and Chris don't work out

the guy: No... no

Me: No, I really don't think it's a bad idea, I think you should go for it

Various explanations mumbled against the silence.

the guy: Ok, fine


[Implied few months later.]

The church is filled with people, not a pew-space available. Big hats, flowery dresses, much chatter. An organ plays in the background. A bride and groom stand on the church stage by the altar. Some dialogue ensues between pastor and couple, but exact words cannot be deducted through side conversations.

Me: Sits there in shock, mouth agaping; obviously having changed mind about wedding plans.

Exit music begins and bridal party starts to leave.

Me: exits in overwhelmed emotional state after bride/groom

the guy: notices Me running to the bathroom and pursues.

Me: enters restroom stall and bawls hysterically and exhaustively.

the guy: [through the closed bathroom door] What's wrong? Are you okay?

Me: [between sobs] Those vows you just said canceled our vows and isn't it illegal to have more than one wife?

the guy: No, it's only illegal to have three or more wives, not two.

Me: [between sobs] Are you going to dance with her? [Implied after-reception activity. "Dancing" held to Me character as something that she only does with her husband because of feeling comfortable enough with him to look a fool.]

the guy: Yeah. But I won't do anything else.

Me: runs from bathroom, wet with tears, toward parking lot.

the guy: does not pursue Me, but walks in the direction of his new bride.


And then I woke up in a cold sweat and nearly in tears. Matt lay beside me, breathing heavy. The clock read 4 something.

It didn't really happen. I tried to reassure my mind as I came out of that dream-like haze. This is here and now. This is real. He wouldn't do that. And Miranda wouldn't do that. That was some nightmare. But I was sleepy enough to have an altered reality.

I put my arm out...

I didn't want to wake him.
He needs his sleep.

4:15AM

4:25 AM

4:45AM

the numbers changed, but sleep never came.

At 5, I hugged him and wouldn't let go. He woke up.
I told him.
He laughed initially when I explained the setting.

"What a jerk!" His sleepy voice empathized.

He rolled over, "Well you don't have to worry about me marrying anyone." He put his arm around me, "You're the only one for me."



-I have no idea why I had that nightmare, I know that Matt's promise is forever. And it just tipped my world a little off thought with how real it all felt. I can't even image what a wife must feel who goes through a divorce. I still have no idea what induced that dream, maybe I ate something funny, but what I do know is that I am blessed not to have to worry about any situation like that.-

3 comments:

Renee said...

I'm laughing...I've had those dreams before, except I proceeded to be mad at Brandt for the day. Poor guy, didn't have a clue! :)

Andi said...

I am going to go with hormones for this one.

Monica said...

lol. prolly right Andi. Hehehe.