Thursday, June 23, 2005

An Eggroll

So I went into a little Chinese place , New Fusion Buffet, on Wednesday because they had a "hiring" sign out and I needed a job. After debating on whether my ethnicity would drastically affect my chances of achieving employment at this little place, I hesitantly walked inside. I noticed that everyone working there was Chinese and I felt even worse. I don't really know if I expected any non-Chinese people to be working there, but I surely hoped for it.

You should just turn around and run out. I thought. Or better yet... get n eggroll to go and then turn around and run out.

The little Chinese lady looked about my age or maybe a little older (though, I think all Chinese people look young) and she walked over to me with raised eyebrows.

"Hi, I was wondering if I could pick up an application?" I spouted off the line I had memorized and used quite frequently since I came here to Cincinnati for the summer.

She just smiled and pointed to another girl walked quickly over. It was then that I realized that Chinese girl #1 (for lack of a better classification system.. aka... I don't know her name or I would have stated it) did not speak English.

"Yes?" The other girl, who again looked like she was my age, inquired.

I repeated the familiar line again, feeling more hopeless than before.

"Yeah. We don't have application. I'll ask you just a few questions. The job is for a hostess who stands there (she motioned to a little stand with a notified on it). You can come on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 11-2 and 5-8? You come 11-2 and then leave and come back 5-8. Then you get 6.75 an hour in cash. We pay in cash. So, you start Friday?"

"Ummm.... Ok." I said, still processing what she was saying.

"Ok, so, see you Friday." She turned to leave. "Oh, I should get some information. You worked before?"

"Yeah, lots of places." Came my professional answer. "Churches, a college, and a pet store."

"Ok. Write down your name and your phone number." She handed me a piece of paper and a pen. While I wrote, she wrote her name on a menu with the phone number of the place on it.

"See you Friday." She announced when I was through and that was it.





Odd... but I have a job...
well... at least till I find other work.

No comments: