Saturday, May 28, 2005

Proved You Wrong!

So this morning I had the novel idea of changing my guitar strings out. See, every month you are supposed to change your guitar strings because they get all worn down and don't sound good anymore. Now since its been over 2 months since I last changed a guitar string, I figured it was about time.

Now if you know me, you should be highly impressed that in 2 months I have not broken a single guitar string. Since I seem to play with a razor blade instead of a pick, I am very proud of my accomplishment. Despite the fact that my guitar sounds "fun", I'm a huge fan of my 2 month old strings.

Being the pro at changing guitar strings that I am, I started pulling out the pins and getting the new strings all in order before I took the old ones off. I was on the phone with Kelly, since I am an excellent multi-tasker.

"What are you doing?" Kelly asked when she heard me banging on my guitar and straining to pull the last string off.

See, apparently when I put my guitar into the shop a LONG time ago, the guy shoved the last string peg in REALLY hard. Now, this wouldn't have been too bad of a problem had the last string (the low E string) been small and easy to pull out. But the low E is really a bugger to get out already.

I gave up after my fingers turned red from pulling on the string and resorted to putting the back of a screwdriver into my guitar and knocking the peg through the back side (and we wonder why my guitar ends up in the shop).

I decided to leave the guitar alone until I was finished talking to Kelly. You know, give it some time to think about what it had done before I gave it it's punishment. After I got off the phone with Kelly, I had at it again. Pulling, tugging, tapping.... pulling, tugging.... the dumb thing wouldn't budge at all. Then finally it gave loose a bit. I was so excited that when I went to pull it out, I accidentally knocked it back in. INGENIOUS!

After I got the peg out, I began re-stringing the thing. I took special care to flex the strings and allow the most optimal precision. I tuned the high E string and then my plan was to work my way down the line to tune the rest. That's when I noticed something... I had re-strung the guitar backward.

You'd think after years of re-stringing this beast that I could do it pretty well by now. Whelp.... Proved you wrong!

(sigh) back to my guitar...

No comments: