Saturday, May 28, 2005

Is she Serious?!

Last Friday I went to the doctor in Cinci after nearly blacking out in the shower. Turns out my iron count was low and my blood pressure was also low. The doctor decided that I should have some blood taken and sent into the lab for testing. She said that I might be anemic, so she wanted to make sure. After being instructed to eat foods high in iron, they sent me out the door with a hole in my left arm and their "best wishes".

I got a call on Monday night from my mom (she works in my doctor's office). I was at bible study, but I got this voicemail afterward:

"Monica, we got your bloodwork back. Turns out they didn't take enough blood to get all the tests done, so we're going to need you to come back to get some more blood drawn. Also, they found a few things in your blood. Nothing to worry about, but call me back tonight or tomorrow to schedule an appointment. You shouldn't wait til school's out. Can you come on Friday? Ok. Talk to you soon. Love you. Bye."

Ahhh yes... nothing to worry about...

So I drove home Friday to get my blood drawn again. Kinda funny how they think I might be anemic, but they need more blood to find out.

I came into the office, signed in, and then went to see my mom. After talking to her for a few minutes, I was called back to a patient room.

"Hey Monica," the nurse said, "What am I taking your blood for?"

A little concerned that she was looking at the chart and asking me what I was there for..."Um, I think it's cause I might be anemic," I ventured.

She was quiet, reading the doctor's note.
"Hmmm, never done that one before. One second, Monica, I'll be right back." And she walked out of the room, opened the cupboard outside of the room, took out a text book, looked in the index and referred to a page.
You've got to be kidding me. I thought. Is she serious?!

Now, I wasn't nervous to get my blood drawn until now.

She returned with a few vials and proceeded to clean my arm for the stabbing.

"Oh, " She got up and left the room again. When she returned she had the needle.

Definitely helping in my rising nerves.

Then she shut the door.

"Is that to keep my screams from echoing down the hallway?" I joked.

"Yeah, and the cotton will help," She reassured me as she grabbed some tissues from a nearby box.

In all, my blood was taken and sent off to lab yet again and hopefully this time we'll get back solid results. Or who knows... maybe they'll draw some more blood next week!

No comments: