Monday, May 28, 2012

Stack 'Em Up!

We took our Memorial day easy after having two packed days on the Saturday and Sunday before. Unfortunately, my "sleep in" dreams did not happen as I had a fantastic visit from Mr. Charlie Horse TWICE at 5am. I stayed up for 45 minutes of potassium and prenatal vitamin consumption, as well as water rehydration. Then I "napped" until 8am.

After doing the diaper laundry, I came to a realization while putting it away that we have virtually no room for Hannah's cloth diapers. Being as how we had a lazy Memorial day ahead of us with plans of hot dogs in the backyard amid the girls playing in the swimming pool (will post those pics in a further post), my creative wheels started turning. I eyed my dwindling stack of receiving blankets, noting that 3 color coordinated.

Backstory: Saturday morning I got the privilege of discovering a woman selling her newborn cloth diaper stash (24 prefolds and 6 covers) for only $25 on craigslist. Since the prefolds themselves cost $2 a piece and the covers cost $8 a piece, I knew I wanted to jump on that deal before someone else did. We were in her area Sunday and were able to complete Hannah's diaper stash until she gets into our current pocket diapers. I WAS (and still am) PUMPED!!!

So looking at the stack of 39 (I made 15 myself) newly washed and ready to be stored Hannah diapers/covers, while putting away Abi's diaper stash, I decided to take advantage of our "lazy day" with a little sewing project.

I used this free diaper stacker pattern (though mildly vague).



And primarily this picture over the pattern words, which were a bit confusing to me. I read another pattern ("simple design" one) with pictures and figured I had the hang of it enough to improv.

I grabbed my three coordinating receiving blankets and, after reading reviews on other diaper stackers being too thin, grabbed some extra polyester to line the diaper stacker with reinforced durability. I laid out my fabric, measured twice, and cut once (though nearly twice. LOL).


This is my starting picture (minus my piece of cardboard to stiffen the bottom of the completed diaper stacker.) 

And this is the finished product:

 It is hung by a "child sized" hanger inserted into the stacker. I chose a metal skirt clip for two reasons: we have a plethera of these and I wanted the hanger head to be able to swivel and hold the weight of the cloth diapers.

** See Hannah's cute cloth diapers in there? =D All 39 fit with extra room.

This hangs wonderfully on the end of our changing table in the nursery. YAY! And it's also easily transported to the laundry room for refilling on laundry day. 
A close-up of the primarily hand-sewn part. I took the butterflies off an old and semi-useless burp cloth (it was really small and thin), then sewed it onto a few leftover pieces of the receiving blanket material I used in the diaper stacker. 


It took me about 4 hours (I hand-sewed a little of it so I could watch the girls "swim") and cost me $1.59 (I ran out of thread. hehe).

I think it came out pretty cute! =)


P.S. For those of you concerned about Hannah potentially being a boy: 1. They got a really good "tell all" peek. 2. If Hannah turns out to be an Elijah, Elijah will get over the butterflies since "he'd" be sharing a room with his sisters for a good while. hehehe. But I'm pretty sure Hannah is 99% more likely. ;)

P.P.S. Matt was impressed that I created this in one day. His exact response: "You made that (smiling and surprised) just today?" =D YAY! I did!

3 comments:

Aunt Gayle said...

Wonderful job! I'm sure Hannah/Elijah will be suitably impressed, as was Matt, lol. You are really coming along in your sewing skills. "Reading" and combining two different patterns and tutorials is NOT for the faint of heart. Good for you for trying and definitely succeeding! Big smile over here on the left coast. :-D

Jes said...

dude, that turned out GREAT! you're quite the sewer now!

Monica said...

Thanks Jes and Aunt Gayle. I was a little surprised at how good it turned out. hehe. Sometimes *ahem* that's not the case. ;)