Friday, June 06, 2008

A Stroll

Last night I came home from the church and was fiercely hungry. And in the High school realm of over-dramatization, "I thought I was going to DIE!" And the first thought on this pregnant woman's mind? Steak baby! Steak and mashed potatoes and ooh some buttery rolls...

I called my husband and you know what he said?!

Ok.

Seriously, could he get any more sweet. My husband, the one who cringes at the sight of expenses (which is good cause I'm a lot more weak with finances) said "Ok" to a non-date-night eating out. He is my hero!

On the drive back, with belly happily filled, we swung by their house to fulfill a promise.

Inside we headed to pick up their livelihood for a few hours. Our conversation as we entered the door where Ellen and Ron's company sat? Post-term abortion of a make-believe seventeen year old child if they ever mentioned having sex outside of marriage. Talk about shocking company as Matt and I joked around with serious purity undertones. Oh well... they're not our friends. Let's just call it adding to the conversation... that Ellen and Ron had to explain for the next hour or so. (heh)

And what did that sweet child do? She had the biggest smile when she saw us. Talk about melting one's heart.

So back to the apartment we went, baby in arms. And I agree with Matt, as we walked from the car with diaper bag, overfilled bucket of toys, and young toddler in hand... it looked like we just kidnapped someone's baby. And I'm sure the neighbors sitting outside and hearing Matt's words were put at ease.

She wandered around the house as I tried to wash the cups and Matt proceeded to put a laundry basket over his head and make strange noises to "entertain the child." (I love that man!) When she got a bit tired of wandering and staying away from the cat food, we took the adventure to the great outdoors. You should have seen Matt with a stroller. There was not a "trying to look cool" bone in his body as he took off tearing down the sidewalk with the little one smiling from the rocky journey. Then he tipped the stroller onto it's back wheels screaming, "WOAH! WOAH!" And then came his head protruding through the sun shade, resulting in Matt wearing the stroller and standing in a frog-like position. (He absolutely kills me sometimes!) But she loved it! [Having a hard time getting a picture of this? The stroller was much like the one above, only green, so Matt stuck his head through the openning of the sun shade from the back of the stroller.]

The park was fun too! I really can't tell you how sweet it was to see Matt chasing that baby all over the place, just captured by her world. And I've never seen the child smile quite so big before. It is true time and time again... she loves her Uncle Matt. For an hour of outside time, our little niece was the beginning and end of our world. Man, she's fun!

Back to the house we headed, Matt no longer doing the old man shuffle behind the stroller (he has long legs) because it was my turn to steer. And then came the drop off the curb that rattled all the self-expression from that child. (My bad! She doesn't need those 8 teeth, right?)

She wandered about the house, moaning at 9:15, discontent with her world. And that's when Matt, ridding nearly all "baby" items from our apartment declared, "It's time to return it." So with Matt's arms loaded in toys and belongings and diaper bag and me with child (haha... well, two), back to their house we rode. Matt frequently turned around from the passenger seat to check on the child at each sound she made. And then when we got to her house declared, "All right, let's go!" (Again, I love that man!) So we left the child on the sidewalk and took off. ; )

No comments: