Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Middle Class

Casting Crowns has a new album out and there's this song called, "Caught in the middle" that is my newest ear candy (as Phil Wing says). Casting Crowns has been notorious for sending out a lyrical challenge for the Christian Church to be alive and real. And this song speaks just to that challenge. See, I'm cool with accepting that challenge and the lyrics flow from my life as long as I don't have to act it out when it really hurts.

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence
Reckless abandon caught in common sense
Deep water faith in the shallow end
and we're caught in the middle..."

I thought I'd try it. Who knows what I'd find. Nothing else was working. Marcia answered the phone, "hi, do you need a job?" Today I observed the children because Marcia refused to allow me to make a contract to teach before knowing what I had signed up to do. "The wild ones" were their logo. But when I saw their faces I knew the three year old mentality was just a phase of socialization that these kids were struggling to grasp. I talked with Theresa about the needs and my ideas to help encourage the functioning of that social group. Baby steps, but with some time, consistency, and love those children could really learn to function in their little social world. "You are an answer to our prayers," the honesty rang from my friend's lips. "I can't promise a long period of time," reality spoke from our checkbook. "But even if you're here for a little while..." I left that building I had left so many times before, but this time feeling I truly was supposed to return.

"An interview," my voicemail promised. The two words I have been waiting for three weeks to hear. Yet my heart broke. I looked at the building still before me.
'You are an answer to our prayers.'
I've learned that an interview doesn't promise a job. Oh, how I've learned that. But how can I be at two places? What does Your timing really look like, God? Especially in light of all this.
I found the middle today.
...................now what?.....................now where?...........................

No comments: