Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Motivation to Rise


So, Coretta Scott King died yesterday. She actually passed away at 11:25 on Monday night after battling ovarian cancer, but the family officially announced it on Tuesday. For those of you who did not know, Coretta was the wife and widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. And it wasn't odd how after picking up the paper this morning on my way to class, I found myself fascinated by Coretta's story of a lifetime of devotion and grace. See, I began to feel a connection to Dr. MLK back in elementary school due to the fact that our birthdays (or at least his "nationally recognized birthday") tend to fall quite near each other. In fact, every seven years, I get my birthday off from school because of MLK. So, thus began my curiosity of MLK. Now, with this internal seeking of justice, which molds my character, I realized that I have a similar drive and passion as MLK, though I'm sure it's not even close to what used to be his full intensity. Regardless, with news of Coretta's death and in light of "growing up" a bit in my character since the last time I really sat down and thought about MLK, this morning I found myself in not only a sense of awe at Coretta's strong character, but also a challenge to my own character.

Recently I have been quite challenged to memorize scripture. Thanks to Dawn, my discipler’s, constant nagging (I truly am grateful); I am finding myself, once again, stretched academically for Christ. It’s funny how easy it is to separate academic work and Christ. You know, like in the past I’ve so easily assumed that my walk with the Lord will be nothing but ease with no real requirements out of me. When I bounced back to reality, I found that my walk would be a constant battle over my morals. But even now in my walk, I am finding that the intensive studying, memorizing, and regurgitating information (as I refer to it) which school seems to require of me can also be applied to my walk with the Lord. I don’t know why I was so naïve to separate hard academics from the Lord who desires ALL disciplines, not just a few.

So how do these two relate? Excellent question. They connect in my mind on the basis of character. Who do you want to be? Coretta may not have woken up one morning and thought, “Today I am going to be Martin’s wife, mother of four, advocate of peace, supporter of equality, demander of justice…” and the list could go on. But the fact is, she got up each morning and accepted the tasks that the day gave. She rose to the challenge. She did not give in. Why? I don’t know what fueled her. But I do know Who fuels me.

I don’t need my name in the paper or my picture on a magazine. I don’t need an interview with Oprah or even a world-famous name. But what my heart does thrive upon is staying true to the way I was made. I must rise to the challenge. I will overcome. Because it’s not me, but Christ within me that has triumphed long ago on a cross. I was made to thirst for a challenge and hunger for growth. The Lord created me to seek to be less, all the while being more in Christ. I have not stirred this within me, I am incapable of doing such, but it is the Spirit within me that promotes my reckless pursuit of Christ. I will not succeed every day at remaining a living sacrifice because many a day I find myself crawling off of the altar, but this remains true… “I can do all things through Christ who gives me the strength I need.” (Phil. 4:13)

In His name alone do I find the motivation to rise to the challenge of growth.

O Praise Him.

No comments: