Sunday, June 24, 2012

Laundry's Done!

So I joined pinterest. Yes, I'm now one of those. And came across, amidst the WAY TOO MUCH, explosion of stuff, a do-it-yourself laundry detergent recipe. I didn't like that one, but connected in a nearby search to a powdered laundry soap that promised to cost about $1.02 a month.

Now, we have sensitive skin needs in our household, so it perked up my ears to learn of a cloth diaper and sensitive skin safe detergent that you could make at home for $1.02 a month. And you only use 1-2 TBSP PER LOAD! So the formula-can sized amount made in the video gets the job done with extra to share. The shelf-life of the detergent is 2 months so you can have some hang-over.

I watched the video,

purchased by Borax/washing soda/Ivory soap for a total of $7 upfront (from Walmart), altered the "needed items" to use a hand grater (for soap) and a blender instead of a food processor and 20 minutes later: Voila! A month or so plus of detergent.


Ingredients:

1.  1-2 grated bars of Ivory soap (or other non-lotioned soap) to make 1-2 cups of soap for recipe. [I used 1.5 bars of original Ivory soap.]
2. 1 Cup Borax (found in laundry aisle at grocery store)
3. 1 Cup washing soda (found in laundry aisle at grocery store)

Directions:

1. Grate 1-2 bars of soap as thin as possible. Set aside.
2. Put Borax, washing soap and 1-2 cups of soap in blender and blend until mixed into fine powder. (Please wear gloves and avoid inhaling fumes from Borax and washing soda.)
3. Can and let sit with lid on can/container for 24 hours.
4. 1-2 TBSP per load of laundry gets the job done.

*** Detergent does not bubble so safe in high efficiency washers as well.


After waiting the full 24 hours of sit-time recommended, I tried my first load of laundry with the new soap.

It came out clean (good start), softer than usual, visibly brighter, and it smelled like.... nothing! (We're a fragrance free family so that's good.) Now the real test will come in the morning when my two enchiladas get dressed. I'll keep you posted regarding if any skin breakouts occur. Immediate hives are a big "no, no" in the laundry soap department. ;)

So thus far, it has my star of approval. I have yet to try it on our cloth diapers because we have yet to need to wash them since I just washed them a day ago. But I'll let you know how that goes too.


*********************************************************************************

RESULTS After Sensitive Skin Exposure:

 No break outs. After having no reaction to the washed clothes, I washed all their bedding today. No reactions post-nap. I'll update you if anything changes, but I think the verdict is in... detergent = cheap, effective AND proven good for sensitive skin. YAY!!!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I look forward to Sat when we will get to make a batch with you.