Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Back to School.

I've been studying for the past week or so to go back to school. No, people, I am not planning on pursuing my Master's (HA!), but I am pursuing preschool again. And I'm looking into generalized education and how to school another and (let's be real) be schooled by another. Matt and I have decided to pursue homeschooling for as long as God continues to press it upon our hearts and allow me to be home with our kids. The schooling needs of each of our kids will be evaluated and prayed over continually to make sure we're offering what they need, not just want they or we want. While I have a few minutes before Rachael is in the "school age" crowd, I figured there's no better time than now to learn and grow in my education philosophy. Wow that sounds technical.

I've been reading all kinds of curriculum recommendations and philosophies regarding home schooling. Some have sucked - just being honest. And some quite honestly have rebelled against my structure-needs. Like I don't think I could be the homeschooler who has "unschooled" kids - you know, the one that the book talk about as just letting natural curiosity and non-booked development drive a child's education ONLY. The mom who doesn't push her kids or really classify them as any grade level or require them to read of write or do math or.... While home school permits flexibility, that kid is going to need a job some day. No one's going to pay them to run around outside barefooted and sing to the flowers. But seriously count me in if you find someone who'll cut you a check for that biz! Yet there is part of me that certainly is not seeking to create geniuses with no friends or social skills. Balance wins this contest again. Man, seriously, buy out your stocks in balance - it's creeping into every category.

Just been interesting lately to think of all the potential in raising Biblical kids. Rachael memorizing her first Bible verse (1 Peter 3:18a) at 2.5 has been challenging my Biblical parenting. The child just popped up one night after VBS with the theme Bible verse memorized. After picking my chin up from the floor I realised I could be underestimating her abilities here. Thanks again to her VBS teachers for teaching and reteaching and reteaching that verse to her. We now hear it over the baby monitor as she sings it in the nursery. From the mouths of babes, people. What is 1 Peter 3:18a you may wonder? "For Christ died for Sin, once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous to bring you to God." She doesn't know what it means yet, nor does she know it fully in her heart. But we're to raise our kids with the Scriptures bound on their foreheads. And it's not just the kids that should have it on their minds (wink, wink).

I've downloaded 5 songs from Amazon from the 1,000+ songs that are Scripture put to music for the purpose of memorization. Then I found 12 online for free. Today I made a CD and have put it in our car. Funny but when Scripture is all around us, I find myself wanting to hear more Scripture and thinking more about Scripture and already Rachael has been mouthing the words from the back seat. I'm no ingenious (HA! I didn't even spell that right the first time) Mom, people, obviously someone else had that idea first - over 1,000+ times before I did. But I want Rachael to learn Christ's heart and His philosophy. It's about being goal-focused and intentional. I know she's soaking up everything like a wet sponge - Abi too (only Abi prefers to chew on the sponges)- now how can I help her soak up more eternal things?

"Home Schooling" has taken on a far greater subject line that I once believed. There is so much more than "just surviving the school years" that home schooling has to offer. And just as parenting has so much more to offer through the lense of Christ, home schooling can have so much more to offer through the lense of Christ.

Light among darkness is important. Agreed. But to have light among darkness you must first have light. And in order to first have light, Christ needs to be in us. God has been opening my eyes to that lately. Yes, we Christians are called to be light among darkness (in our community, in schools, in church, in our homes), but my kids aren't Christians yet. So once they are Christians, Lord willing, then they have the opportunity to serve in their mission fields among darkness. Then our focus will be switched from Christ-exposure to equipping to Go. But it's all at one step at a time. Christ is their choice. They can choose Him or deny Him. And while my hopes and prayers are certainly that they would choose Christ, I just want to provide the most real example possible of the beauty and glory of our Lord and my obedience to raising kids as God desires is all I can give. Only my goal is not just to encourage Christians, but to encourage them to become devoted and obedient Christians. There is a HUGE difference in the two (and some would venture to say that pew-sitting Christians are not Christians, but I'm not the judge of obedience or salvation).



All I know is what a blessing it has been, and I pray it will continue to be, to watch them begin on their paths of possibility.


- To God be all the glory.



... now back to reading and praying.

No comments: