Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Guilty As Charged

I read an article in a Christian Parenting magazine the other day while waiting to pick up the Kindergartner I watch after school. The article title? Getting over Guilt. Beyond the sheer entertainment of the author's self-portrait of standing with baby on hip and her hand to her head with an "I blew it expression", I found it interesting as the author spoke of sending her guilty situation through "the Three G Test".

G #1: Gifts. Guilt gives you the opportunity to re-evaluate what is and is not on your list of gifts. Ex. Some people rock it up at baking - I do NOT! Therefore, instead of feeling guilty that I didn't think of bringing in a piping hot plate of cookies for the next youth group function, I can default to something I am gifted at and serve the youth in another way. End result? The youth get served. AKA Success!

G #2: Growth. Guilt can spur you on to growth. Ex. You stink at doing the laundry so you feel guilty for being selfish all the time and avoiding the laundry resulting in doing the laundry to avoid feeling guilty. (You know, just pulling a situation out of mid air here - cough.) Voila! - productive guilt. But I really likes this statement from the article: "While I am not a naturally 'gifted' homemaker, I cannot use that as an excuse to let my home become a sty. And while I am no more gifted in the area of 'child management' than I am in home management, that cannot be an excuse to let my kids rule the roost." So true. So true. A stinger and so true.

G #3: Grace. You'll never be good at everything and guilt is inevitable when you fail so you are super blessed to have God's grace in the whole teaching process. God continually offers grace in your efforts and your failures. And you cannot experience grace without first experiencing guilt. AKA, I'm not thankful for the undeserved gift of grace if I still feel like I could have done it on my own.


I just thought this article was neat and helpful in terms of motherly guilt. And so in those next guilty moments, instead of standing there and feeling sorry for myself, I'm going to try to think about the three G test. Was it even a gift of mine that I was trying to accomplish or was it a greener grass on the other side of the fence moment? Am I using my guilt as a crutch or growing through the guilt? And is this guilt another opportunity to acknowledge God's grace during my mistakes?

- Just a few guilty thoughts. =)

No comments: