Thursday, April 09, 2009

Divine Economics

We all want to be justified in our choices and our ways.
"He did that because he is thoughtful."
Or "She did that because she is kind."
We want our choices to speak volumes of our goals, dreams and families.
We sincerely hope that when our lives are boiled down to words that somewhere in the mix the good outweighs the bad. We all sincerely hope that someone else will see the intent behind our words and actions. That our purpose would not be hidden in the dark.

These things have gone through my mind constantly over the past week and a half. If you look at my life would words like sacrifice, faithfulness, and determination come from your lips? No, I'm not living to please you or anyone else for that matter. But I just want my purpose to be obvious. My drive to be backed by real meaning.

We're testing out some more budget restraints in an effort to work toward our family goal this coming January. And I'm finding that with a goal readily in mind it's easier to deny small temptations when you already have what you need in your hands. When weighing the costs and benefits, I find it easier to say no to extraneous non-goal driven expenses. But it also makes me ponder my goal/purpose drive beyond finances.

Is my life purpose obvious? Or could my words and actions leave others guessing?
Am I just wasting time and energy in smelling the flowers when the garden needs so much work?

I find it necessary to step back sometimes and say, "Is this working? Is this where I should be? Are my intentions justified?"

But evaluation is nothing but smelling the flowers, unless it's used to help the garden grow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In reply to your question about your life's purpose, if you are asking if it is undeniably apparent to all that you are devoted to God and Family, the answer is absolutely Yes! I don't for a minute believe that you have any reason to doubt that. You walk through life in a beautiful balance of those two goals, in one of the clearest and most real ways I've seen. The "garden" of your life is in full bloom year-round, and it's gorgeous!