Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Low-Income Windows, Friends, and 135

So, my friends and fellow readers... today is the third day at my internship that my supervisor has not been here for some reason. AKA... I'm lost... hence the blogging.
I am supposed to be working on a low-income housing project in which I research low income housing and then visit to determine the quality of living by window coverings.
For example, in the picture above... there are various window coverings. Obviously curtains cannot be afforded so various colored sheets and boards are put up in the windows to keep out prying eyes. Now before anyone becomes too high and mighty, please understand that I am in no way insulting anyone's style of life. I too slept with a blanket over my campus window for nearly two years in order to block out the light. But those "better" low-income apartments out there require that a resident place at least a white sheet over the windows if curtains cannot be afforded. Hence the reasoning behind looking at people's windows.

Beyond low-income housing shopping and internship dullness, things have been going well. I got the opportunity to talk to a good friend, Chris, for awhile this morning which was great. It's really quite wonderful to find out how good friends who you don't get to see often are doing. For the world to know... he and Miranda are doing well.

It's funny how the thought of visiting "old friends" brings such joy to my day. No plans have been set in stone, but the thought of a time coming soon, quite soon, when I will get to visit Chris and Miranda for more than 15 minutes is quite exciting.

I also got to talk to my mom this morning which was good. I really have enjoyed hanging out with my mom and getting to talk to my mom lately. It's funny how we have gone through her parenting me, me rebelling (in various ways), me going off to college, her learning to befriend me, and now it seems like we are moving further and further into her and I being friends. Oh, she will always hold the parenting card over me... I mean seriously, she's my mom. But I am really appreciative for those moments in which we get to just laugh, talk about challenges, and do random chores around the house. I love you, mom.

As for my Matt, I've gotten the chance to see him more these past few weeks than I have gotten to see him in a long time. I attended Miamisburg First Baptist these past two Sundays. In such a visitation I am learning more of what it means to support Matt in his ministry. Oh yes, eventually it will be come our ministry at Miamisburg, but as for now it's Matt's ministry. I really am enjoying being Matt's sidekick in ministry, though it does require me to sit alone during some church services. But I really do enjoy watching him serve and doing random things here and there to aid him. But I'll be honest, there really is nothing in comparison to just being with Matt, outside of the context of Miamisburg. Just me and Matt... oh that's a blast.

This just in [Matt's dad just walked by my cubicle]... Ellen (Matt's sister) has been put on bed rest so please keep her in your prayers as she nears Becca's arrival. Becca is due May 4th and I couldn't be more excited. Ellen and Ron are also putting a bid on a house today that they could potentially move into soon. And... (drum roll please) Becca's head is down and Ellen's beginning to dialate. SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!!!! I'm going to be an Aunt soon! It's been really fun and exciting to watch Ellen go through her pregnancy and I can't wait to meet my new niece whom has kicked me once already. SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!

Beyond all that joy, school has been school, I am learning more of what it means to have fun at work despite the challenges of my Kindergartners, and, lest you all forget, 135 days until Matt and I get married. Also, a new countdown... 99 days until I complete my requirements for graduation.

No comments: