Friday, July 09, 2010

The Girls and Reminders




Peaks and Valleys fill our lives here at the parsonage. Peaks of "we're making it well with two kids," and valleys of "are we going to make it through the next ten minutes?" It's helped me ask for help more and admit my shortcomings more, which is not always that comfortable. (wink)

"The girls" Matt called them when explaining to his mom that he needed to get off the phone because we were out and about with "the girls." The phrase brought back years of taking care of "the girls" moments passed between Mom and Dad on the phone. We were "the girls" in Daddy's talk many a time. And now we have our own "the girls." In that moment our family felt wonderfully complete or shall I say, well rounded. The girls.... we now really have two kids. Wow, we're parents.... TWICE. In some moments that fact seems to age me by 10 years and in other moments that fact sees to label me irresponsible. Maybe I flirt on both sides. =)


Nothing like a good on-fire Christian to make you feel like a cold coal. But I am grateful for the reminders to continually seek the Source of Flame. Sometimes I find myself feeling like I'm doing nothing for the Kingdom when I witness old peers and younger adults say, selling all their stuff and moving to Africa (wink, wink to Theresa). It's so easy to get caught up in the comparison game here until I begin to feel like Matt working at a Baptist church in Miamisburg is nothing compared to running off to the mission field. Maybe it's part of my adventurous dreamer feeling antsy. Maybe I'm getting to "used to" church. Maybe Moses doesn't feel like he's coming back with the Ten commandments so I start building calves. God's been using friends' stories of devotion as little heart-checks for me. It's nice to have your eyes opened and be spurred on... after the sting is behind you. =) But I am grateful of the reminder that this world is not my home, so don't get too comfy here. Changing diapers is my lifestyle, but not my worth or my mission. How am I serving beyond the routines? Am I intentional? I've been chewing on those thoughts for a little while - they tend to be tough and lasting.


- Just sharing a little brain vomit with you all....

feel properly stained. (ewww, bad illustration.)



Take care, all.
=)

3 comments:

Jes said...

did your brain just vomit on me? um, gross.

God is in the everyday. You are molding two human beings every single day. This is nothing to sneeze at. And He will honor the mission mindset you have soon enough. Don't worry...

Keep being awesome!

Monica said...

thanks Jes. Funny how in just a few sentences you can encourage me so much. That must be because you are awesome and used by God. And that also must be because we've still got it... that's right, afterall we are "the girls!"

Yvonne Johnson said...

You two will continue to be "the girls" in some parts of conversation while Monica's daughters will also be "the girls." Oddly enough, I refer to my mom and her sisters, all age in their mid-70s, as "the girls" in some contexts, so clearly it's something you'll never outgrow. :-)

Monica, I have obviously no clue what "mission" you might have, beyond proving that Christian and family and wholesome can sincerely work together, but I have no doubt that you will be ready and capable for whatever will come your way.